flush fitting sensors for upvc / composite door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm getting new doors fitted, front and back, and need around the doors plastered so was considering fitting door sensors before we get things finished off.
Can anyone recommend flush fitting door contacts, suitable for fitting into a composite / upvc door? I don't currently have an alarm fitted, but i hate seeing cables tacked places, so was planning to run the cable in a short length of conduit in the wall so it can remain hidden when the hall is finished off.

Sponsored Links
Not really as drilling a 20mm hole in a plastic door will void your guarantee , normally fit surface contacts , you could try a slim Jim prewired contact around 10mm hole but it will have to be on the top due to the locking mechanism .

If the system isn't graded then one I have done on uPVC doors is to embed a reed switch in one of the channels on the door frame and fill the channel with white silicone with the reed being a fraction of a mm under the surface of the silicone.

Then mount a powerful neodymium magnet tucked away on the door itself (i have used 3mm thick ones in the past and these don't foul the frame or locking mechanism.

I know of one door I've done this to that is well over 8 years old and no false alarms or problems with it.

Obviously this won't work with a composite door as they are flush without any rebate that can accept the magnet. Although I'm sure the same concept would work for the top of the door and you can then sink a 3mm thick bar magnet into the core of the door.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back