Flush mounted sockets - Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Bit of a job on my hands. Having some damp proofing done at the moment and intend to sand floorboards, replace skirting, fit flush mounted light switches and sockets, not to mention painting everything.

I've already fitted two flush mounted light switches, but need to do a double plug socket.

Had a look at the area yesterday after the skirting was removed and there's a brick column behind the existing socket which is mounted externally on the wall. The said double socket is next to the bath room, so don't presume brick wall is a supporting wall of sorts.

Can I chip some of the brick colum away to allow for a metal box to be fitted to support a flush mounted face plate? How do I cut away the brick work? Is it just by using a bolster and cold chisel?

How can I be sure that the Brick work won't just crumble?

Any suggestions help, would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards

Northern Butters

Sponsored Links
not to mention painting everything.
Don't paint the switches or sockets as some people do.

As to your question - I would think the column is only on the outside. Is there a cavity?

I can see no problem with sinking the back-box into a column anyway. It would be stronger than a single course of bricks.
As to crumbling - they probably won't, unless very, very old. Chip away small pieces at a time. Don't try and knock out the whole lot at once.

That or drill lots of small holes to the correct depth in the rectangle starting with the corners and then chip away what is left.

Where is the cable - in front of the column?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back