Flush plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have a concealed cistern, same as in the link, with a cable operated dual flush mechanism.
I want to change the button for a flush plate but are all cable operated systems the same? What I mean is do they all have the same end on the cable that clicks into the back of the button/ plate?
What's annoying is I've looked at a good few plates and they rarely mention whether they are air or cable operated. Any help much appreciated.

https://www.betterbathrooms.com/p/cable-concealed-dual-flush-toilet-cistern-fac002

Sponsored Links
Is that link to the cistern you currently have?

If so, you need to see if the dump/flush valve (pictured in the link) is branded, which it may be, even if the cistern isn't (better bathrooms and all those other Internet based retailers usually sell unbranded products as they don't want you finding out who makes them and sourcing them elsewhere).
If it's branded, you can then search to see if that manufacturer offers a flush plate option.
Flush plates are not normally universal and are designed to be compatible with a specific cistern and dump valve.

Is that link to the cistern you currently have?

If so, you need to see if the dump/flush valve (pictured in the link) is branded, which it may be, even if the cistern isn't (better bathrooms and all those other Internet based retailers usually sell unbranded products as they don't want you finding out who makes them and sourcing them elsewhere).
If it's branded, you can then search to see if that manufacturer offers a flush plate option.
Flush plates are not normally universal and are designed to be compatible with a specific cistern and dump valve.

Sorry about the late response to the replies. I completely forgot I'd posted this before going on holiday.
The cistern I have is identical to the one in the link. It's unbranded and is for sale on eBay, Amazon and all over the internet at many varying prices. It came as part of a package from Tecaz, a local to me retailer. I haven't fitted it all yet and I prefer the look of the plates to the button. If need be I'll change the valve but it seems a shame to just chuck this one.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This looks as though it will work...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/large-chrome-push-button-plate

As it is designed to work with this...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/dual-flush-concealed-wc-cistern-large-chrome-push-button-plate

Product description says...
  • Designed to work with the existing cable operated valve
I noticed that plate on the link I posted but couldn't find it on its own.
I'd really prefer to have a plate with two completely separate buttons but I now know that isn't possible with a cable. The two buttons are always overlapped with a cable operation while two separate buttons are air operated.
It looks like if I want two separate buttons on the plate I have to change the valve as well.

Do all pneumatic valves have the same connections to the flush button? I've been looking at dual flush air operated valves and they just appear to have 2 tubes. I'm guessing these tubes just push onto the flush plate or button and so any valve can be used with any plate. The tubes are a standard size?

I don't know if they're all mix and match! And I doubt you'd get any manufacturer to commit to saying such. You'd have to suck it (or pump it :LOL:) and see!
The air pressure required to lift the mechanism across various makes and models of valves would most certainly differ and would therefore suggest that the buttons (and bellows/diaphragm within them) play an important role.
For example: the most common cause of a Conceala 2 dual flush valve failing to flush is that the air tubes have not been cut down to the shortest length possible!

I don't know if they're all mix and match! And I doubt you'd get any manufacturer to commit to saying such. You'd have to suck it (or pump it :LOL:) and see!
The air pressure required to lift the mechanism across various makes and models of valves would most certainly differ and would therefore suggest that the buttons (and bellows/diaphragm within them) play an important role.
For example: the most common cause of a Conceala 2 dual flush valve failing to flush is that the air tubes have not been cut down to the shortest length possible!
I think I'll just buy the plate you linked to and keep my existing valve. From what I've read they are more reliable than air operated.
Thanks for all your input it was appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back