Flush Valve...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I started with a Torbeck Variflush, followed all the comments on here and eventually changed it to a Fluidmaster, then Flomasta, then Gerberit. I won't swear to the order, finding the Torbeck gave me the least trouble and longest life I went full circle. That's my toilet problems summed up in 2 lines.

So having now used the 2 spare washers and used vegetable oil in the last 5 years or so in a bid to keep them working... What should I do next? Bear in mind We can't keep our legs crossed forever :unsure:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You will find answers here.
So true. Over complicated Vs original toilets.

Reactions: CBW
Maybe try Siamp? Got loads fitted in our properties, most are good for 5 years or so. As above though, probably better with a traditional one if you can get one to fit?

The traditional syphon toilet flush system is by far the most reliable but, unfortunately, no new toilets use it. I don't understand why all manufacturers have moved away from syphons as, by their nature, they cannot leak water into the bowl as a lot of newer flush systems often do, wasting water.
The only thing that can go wrong with a syphon system is the diaphragm fails which makes flushing difficult, but that can easily be replaced..

Sponsored Links
fitting a syphon is not beyond the bounds of possibility as the cistern is in the adjacent space and easily replaceable, the difficulty is the button location and repositioning elsewhere due to the timber structure and pipework between the single skin PB and cistern maybe 400mm away with water level roughly just a little below the button. I don't really want a flush handle on that vertical face above the panel (so I'll be told by Missus Sunray).
1715041076993.png
1715041247516.png

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ahh, I see. So push button, probably cable type is all you can have then apart from pneumatic ones, and they’re not much better if not worse. As I said, maybe Siamp, or even Multikwik do one. Thomas Dudley were always a good choice for regular syphons, maybe their flush valves are equally as good?

You could try a limefighter and/or filter strainer on the cold feed to the cistern.
And I take it you're not using blue loo or some other cistern cleaner in the tank?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back