Flushing my system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber round the other day who replaced my heat exchanger and said it was full of silt, he suggested that the system is flushed.

I have an Arriston condensing boiler, what is the procedure for flushing the system, do i just buy a bottle of central heating cleaner poor it into a radiator then put the heating on for a bit to let it circulate before draining and re-filling.

Or does the central heating cleaner have to go straight into the boilers cw flow ???

Sponsored Links
No a chemical will need adding to loosen all the iron oxide bulid up in you system, usually via header tank, radiator, filling loop, depending on set up, this ideally run around system for 7 - 10 days, then a flush machine needs connecting to your system, where you will flush the system in one direction and then the other, it is also good to put a chemical in while you are flushing, unless you dump alot then it would just be a waste, once the flush is complete more chemicals are added to help prevent future problems, also would be a great idea to fit a central htg filter at this point such as spirovent, fernox F1 or magnaclean, you cant just add a chemical run and drain that isnt a flush

If you have a good main that is, also cant reverse flow using mains, also uses alot of water, but can stll do a good job, good mains pressure usually better than that given by domestic powerflushing machine pump and can cost upto £700 depending on who does it, but remember you get what you pay for and for £700 i believe you get an excellent guarentee from some companys as for £200 flushes, keep your money

Sponsored Links
i have a flushing board set up - where mains goes into either the flow or return depending which valve.

mains in
valve 1 attached to flow valve 2 attached to return
valve 1 open for flow valve 2 closed
valve 1 closed for return valve 2 open
i then have 2 other valves that divert to waste form each valve depending which way im flushing.
this way i can reverse flow
b it complicated to describe i'll sort a picture.

i have a flushing board set up - where mains goes into either the flow or return depending which valve.

mains in
valve 1 attached to flow valve 2 attached to return
valve 1 open for flow valve 2 closed
valve 1 closed for return valve 2 open
i then have 2 other valves that divert to waste form each valve depending which way im flushing.
this way i can reverse flow
b it complicated to describe i'll sort a picture.
Yeah post up a picture please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back