Flushing oil or additive?

L

LooPrEvil

I need to give my vehicle an oil change and have been advised to use a flushing oil due to an issue with a smoking exhaust when starting from cold.

Should I use a flushing oil, or just one of those additives that you add to the existing oil?

Sponsored Links
The smoking at start-up has very little to do with using a flushing oil or not. My advice is - don't.

Back to the smoking problem - what car, year, engine, fuel is it? Also is the smoke blue, black, white and how long does it last after start-up?

Its a ford petrol 1.8 cvh engine 90k miles. Blue smoke, lasts for about 1/2 mile, but if I let car idle for a few minutes before pulling of it does not smoke, or only slightly. Thanks.

Blue smoke means it's burning a bit of oil, using an engine flush could well make it worse not better. Your problem will be with the piston rings or valve stem oil seals, well more than likely a bit of both, at that millage, I would change the valve stem seals, it's quite common for them to cause smoking on the CVH engines, luckly they are a fairly simple job to do in situ (i.e. you don't have to take the head off) but you will need the tool to do them, but it's only cheep.

CVH valve tool

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Would agree with Tinker, probably oil running down the stem seals and accumulating when the engine is off. Takes the 1/2 mile to burn it off. They will be leaking when the engine is running but doesn't get the chance to build up as its burn't off instantly so not noticeable.
Rule of thumb;
Blue smoke when accelerating=piston rings
Blue smoke when decelerating (throttle closed)=stem seals

I agree with the above. I have a deep mistrust of flushing oils. At best they do nothing, at worst, they can dislodge some bit of gunge which could then travel a bit further and block an oilway before getting to the filter, which then starves whatever it was that the oilway was supposed to be feeding!

Many garages these days tend to bung a tin of Forte oil cleaner at every service......it could be happily avoided if people had their oil changed on time! (Turbo diesel owners please note) :p
John :)

I replaced the valve stem seals in January. When I did them I removed and cleaned the spark plugs, three of which were a sandy colour and the other was blackened, so it could be an issue with that particular cylinder. A rebore is not worth considering due to the cost.

I had a similar problem last year, which seemed to clear for about 9 months, after I used a Comma engine treatment prior to dropping the oil. It has been recommended that I try a flushing oil to disolve and remove any carbons, as the additive did in essence do its work last time.

The Forte treatment does seem to get a good press, but I have now got 5L of flushing oil so will see what happens - I have had mixed opinions on such products, which seems to be replicated on here!

Thanks for your comments, I am keeping my fingers crossed and will let you know how I get on.

Job done!

The engine was flushed twice because the first flushing when drained was very black. The second flushing produced a browny coloured waste, in which you could see carbon being disolved.

New oill filter, and Unipart oil, and heres hoping for smoke free starting in the morning!!

Sponsored Links
Back