Flying Earth Wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hihi
I am trying to replace an electric towel rail which has started to rust. So it is meant to be a simple case of off with the old and on with the new.
When i removed the socket cover from the fused spur box there were three earth wires, all of which were loose - probably, hopefully loosened when i removed the front plate rather - than never having been connected.

Anyway... so earth 1 belongs to the mains flex and earth 2 belongs to the towel rad electric element but earth 3 seems to be connected to the socket box - when i re-connect do i put all three earth wires including this 'flying earth' into the same connector?

The other thing was with the mains flex earth - the sheath was loose and can be removed - is this normal? sorry if all this is a bit basic but i've never seen such a thing before and a google search for flying earth doesnt clarify.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
yes connect them all together and yes, mains cable has a bare earth that is sleeved afterwards.

make sure all your connections are tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back