Flying freehold/party wall chimney removal advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was built in 1750 as a terrace of 3 houses. At some stage in the past It was converted into one large house and then later into the 2 house configuration it is in today. We have a flying freehold set up.

Our kitchen goes into the neighbours kitchen and on the party wall on their side, they have a chimney breast which they say is our kitchen fire. We have no evidence of any fireplace on our side and believe it has only recently been appointed as a kitchen. In any case this was not the original arrangement of the houses when they were first built. We do not know where the original fireplace was located (their house or ours)

Half of the chimney stack is only sitting on the top and needs to be removed. The chimney stack is on the neighbours side of the house but he is saying it is our liability to pay for it, although he has graciously offered to pay half!

We had a full structural survey when we bought the house which clearly showed just 2 chimneys that we have. They have 3 chimneys (one of which is being disputed) but they had no survey carried out when they bought their house recently. I mentioned the damaged stack to the previous owners who acknowledged it but did nothing about it - not really much help as nothing in writing and they have long gone now.

They refuse to acknowledge our surveyors report and are threatening to sue us for surveyors costs if they get one out to confirm our ownership of it. (I know they cannot do this). They are claiming as a party wall we are partly liable for the cost of the removal of the stack. No chimney breasts have been removed on their side as far as I am concerned. The damage is just wear to the mortar.

Does anyone have any advice or experience as to who is liable for the cost of the removal of the stack?

Would be grateful for any information. Rather urgent.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back