Flymo bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new blade for my flymo but can't get the bolt off to replace it. I've tried wd40 but it seems to be stuck tight

Sponsored Links
might be a left-hander

have you found the manufacturers instructions?

Yes, I've followed the instructions but it's stuck fast

They are buggers to get off, WD40 and a good set of Pump pliers will eventually do the trick

Sponsored Links
It's a plastic head and I'm using the (useless) spanner that came with the mower.

It's a plastic head and I'm using the (useless) spanner that came with the mower.
There is a technique that may help.If you have identified which way it turns to undo, usually in the direction in which the blades turn ,get the spanner as close to the position in the diagram and put some heavy gloves on and sqeeze ..hard with sustained pressure
Wd40 doesnt get near the threads and grips can chew the head off.
If it doesn't undo you need a longer spanner

IMG_20200623_130111501.jpg

DON'T use pipe pliers, mole grips, or any form of adjustable spanner! You will simply disintegrate the bolt head and find it hard to put back securely.
Forget the plastic spanner, they are worse than useless. You need to get a correct sized socket and whats commonly know as a 'Crack Bar' but really called a socket extension bar. This is a bar that you can fit a socket on the end of, (preferably 1/2" fitting), then, because the bar is usually about 18"-24" long, it gives you greater leverage. You will need to stop the blade rotating while you try to undo it so grip the blade, or get someone else to grip it, wearing a pair of tough gloves, sometimes known as rigger gloves but often made from a tough canvas. Apply pressure gently but firmly, increasing the pressure slowly. Do not try to jerk the bar or you may injure yourself/someone and not do the bolt any good. Patience and concentration will eventually win and hopefully with no injuries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back