Flymo GT2 (JLO engine) service information

Sure must be an elderly machine if it has a tickler!
Anyway, if the air filter is clean and the choke flap is fully open, I wouldn't try adjusting the float level so,long as fuel isn't leaking out of the machine when it's not running.
As for the running speed, does it actually hover? Checking the RPM needs a tachometer, of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Spark plug after a good run cutting the bank.

IMG_1419-CROP-1280_zpsd9a17e9e.jpg

Sparkplug is branded something like "Workshop" which I've never heard of, and type EX20. I've no idea if it's correct, and no particular way of finding out unless I can narrow down which exact GT2 version we have, as NGK lists different plugs for different versions.

Yes it does hover, but not as cleanly as it should, confirmed by the fact that it cuts very short even though all but one spacer's been removed.

Tony S

I can't see the plug length, but I would think that an NGK BPMR7A would be fine......that's a good plug for high revving two strokes but if it tends to foul then a 6A might be better.
The plug colour looks fine, but it's a bit grotty! It won't improve the running, just the starting.
Post a pic of the governor vane if you want it to rev higher......there may be some adjustment.
Make sure the space between the engine and the deck is clear, so hover air can get in.
John :)

I purchased on old Flymo I think 470 it has the MV100 engine . There is not a tickler on the carburetter , the only adjustment possible is the idle jet . It worked perfectly when I bought it , starting easily , however twice when I stopped to fill the tank with petrol it refused to start again . I cleaned the carb and it started second pull . But in a mornings grass cutting on the third refill it failed to start again after some investigation I have concluded , that a previous owner has fitted a totally wrong governor spring , which is preventing the governor working properly . The governor adjustment is achieved by moving the spring's anchor point . I look forward to fitting the correct spring in anticipation of good starting and the engine running fast enough to hover properly

Sponsored Links
I have an old GTE.I was given it 30 years ago because the previous owners mechanic condemned it. reading all the above is interesting. that governor thing with the spring. it looks too loose in the photo. mine is set so the spring action is very light I assume the butterfly shuts when the engine is stopped but as soon as the wind starts it blows to full throttle. no half measures.
I saw you have the problem removing the carb. I cut away a section of the white cast frame so now I can clean the carb out easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back