Focus 1.8 tdci whistle noise

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi guy's my 07 focus 1.8tdci is doing my head in. Every time I accelerated it made a loud whistle noise, then the turbo went so I replaced it with one from a scrapped car (Oil flush etc carried out). The turbo from the scrapped car started to whistle too when I accelerate or just as the turbo kicks in. So anyway I got the bad turbo reconditioned and bought a new oil line. Just finished installing it and guss what .... the whistle noise is still there. Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

Sponsored Links
Had a similar problem turned out to be a slight tear on the turbo intercooler hose pipe, so check all air pipes and jubilee clips are tight regards david

Thanks David. I checked those earlier and they are good. I removed them and cleaned them just to be sure.

Sponsored Links
No I didn't. What do you could be happening with that to cause it?

Turbo whine is essentially due to an imbalance of the fan blades.....this becomes even more pronounced with the variable vane turbochargers that we see today. Excess whine could be due to the wastegate failing to open early enough, but it may just be a typical noise of that particular installation.
I have tried to rebuild turbos myself with new bearings and so on but it just wasn't accurate enough to be worthwhile.....I now use Turbotechnics when necessary - me just trying to be too clever!
Is the car running well enough, Mike?
John :)

Hi guys I am working this weekend so I have no time to mess about with the car. I will for sure check the intercooler for a hole or damage on Monday (sound David). The car runs real good actually but the whine worries me. I haven't noticed any damaged hose when I was looking around either.
I appreciate the advise and thanks.

On the positive side, it would be worse if you hadn't a turbo whistle.
Watch for the pipes moving when you go into the revs, might see something?
Disconnect the air filter box to test ..........

get someone to reve the engine whilst you've got the bonnet raised, and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from. You may need a stick or something to put against your ear to get a more definitive location.

So finally I checked all the lines for leaks and they were good. I removed and checked the intercooler and it was fine too. I removed and cleaned the DPF filter which was very very dirty and now it is perfect. It looks like the back pressure from the dirty exhaust casued the problem.
Thanks fir all your advise guys I really appreciated the help.

Sponsored Links
Back