Turbo repair issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm looking for some advice after using a local garage to replace a turbo on a 2015 Qashqai. The car was booked in due to an unpleasant turbo metallic noise and it was expected that a new turbo would be required and i was happy with the quote. I managed to carefully coast the car with very little throttle to the garage as i was aware that that a turbo failure could cause problems (but i am not a mechanic). I had requested a lift home and the garage opted to use my car for the journey (which included a long steep hill). The car struggled up the hill and then overheated causing the engine to bang/steam. They replaced the turbo but i'm left with an oil leak from the rocker cover and reduced power/acceleration. I've tried to discuss this with the garage owner but he will not accept any fault and his response was "I was a F**ing idiot for allowing them to drive me home in my car" and told to "F*** off". Which was nice. It is now going to main dealer for investigation. I'm not a mechanic and i've no idea what a car with a faulty turbo is capable of. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
All we can really do is speculate, unfortunately.....there’s no reason for a dud turbo to cause overheating and turbo’s, if on their way out tend to belch smoke. Was the noise the only clue?
You’ll need to see the old turbo and look for score marks where the turbine impeller has contacted the aluminium body.
If the engine overheated to such a degree I’d be surprised if the cylinder head gasket was still intact but that is reasonably easy to check.
I guess your engine is the 1.5 dci? The turbo is a variable vane type and must be exactly matched to the engine for full performance. The rocker cover is plastic and easily cracked.
It sounds like the garage you went to were a bunch of bastards but whether you’ll get anywhere is just guesswork.....if they know you’re off to a Nissan dealer they’d probably say why didn’t you go there in the first place.....
John :)

Hi John. Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, the overheating occurred before the turbo was replaced ie when i was given a lift home in my own car. I thought i had read somewhere that an engine with a faulty turbo has to work much harder and can overheat under heavy load eg driving up a steep hill. I couldn't get it into Nissan as they had a 3 week wait due to reduced staff levels/covid. Now i wish that i'd waited.....

To be honest, I’ve never driven a car with a damaged turbo ( to that extent, anyway) so I can’t comment from experience whether the thing would overheat.....for sure, I’d keep an eye on the temperature gauge or overheat light anyway, so that’s a bad move on the garages behalf.
Did the garage fit a new turbo, a reconditioned one or maybe one from a scrapper?
I’m wondering if the engine has gone into limp mode, but the engine management lamp would be on in that case.

Sponsored Links
It was a Nissan supplied new turbo. The overheating occurred before the new turbo was fitted. The current symptoms are reduced acceleration and leaking rocker cover. Nissan will check it out tomorrow........

Can you get your hands on the old turbo? Maybe you could take it with you for examination.
Hopefully its only a boost pipe that’s been left off or something!
We’ll be pleased to hear the outcome.

Hi. The overheating engine occurred after the turbo had developed a fault and before it was replaced. My question is if a turbo becomes faulty leading to a loss of power, can this cause the engine to overheat when forced up a long steep hill ie when it is forced to work harder?

If you got a metallic noise coming from turbo you shouldn't start the engine at all just my opinion of course.

Sponsored Links
Back