Foggy glazed unit replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
going to replace a foggy glazed unit - problem is depth of glass and spacer bar measures 23mm and i would need to order either 24mm or 22mm width any help.

Also does any one know about the placing of seals e.g bubble - eseals - flipper and wedge seals - where they would be positioned on a upvc unit?

Sponsored Links
going to replace a foggy glazed unit - problem is depth of glass and spacer bar measures 23mm and i would need to order either 24mm or 22mm width any help.

Also does any one know about the placing of seals e.g bubble - eseals - flipper and wedge seals - where they would be positioned on a upvc unit?

The unit will be either 24mm or 22mm. Most likely 24mm.

Specify: toughened or annealed, glass type, spacer bar colour.

It doesn't need replacing if it's only foggy ......plenty of companies re do the units ......separate clean ...New dessicant crystals in the spacer bar ..... job done.

Sponsored Links
You can't fix a blown DG unit - FACT.
Really ......have you ever seen how they are made ? It's pretty simple they ensure the glass is spotless they put the dessicant crystals within the aluminium extrusion. Then seal it........the crystals absorb any moisture ...simple.

https://www.cloudy2clearwindows.co.uk/branches/

The FACT IS THAT THEY'RE SIMPLE TO MAKE AND SIMPLE TO REPAIR were you under some illusion they were made in a vacuum chamber ?? ?

Get your bloody facts right beford coming out with ridiculous garbage dressed as facts :rolleyes:

I don't know of any DGU companies locally that will re-build (it's not a repair) an old unit. It costs too much and the risk of future failure is greater. Plus, you will end up with a sheet of ply (another cost) in the hole whilst they repair the unit. All blown DGU's end up in the glass skip.

Completely stupid con. No wonder there is only the one (franchise:rolleyes:) company doing it.

Last edited:
You can't fix a blown DG unit - FACT.
Correct. A complete re-build of the unit will be necessary. Who in the right mind would want the old glass in any case.

Note: DGU's installed with security tape (as opposed to gasket) are difficult to remove without damage to the glass.

Ignore any comments by a clueless pipe bender.

Last edited:
The units I get made up by my local glass co. aren't made up in a vacuum chamber, are they? There's a place near me that makes them while you wait.

Blah blah blah
Nope, the crappy link you offered is just another bunch of cowboys offering to 'fix' something when all they do is fudge it, having created a market for naive numpties like you to lap up. Go back to the GD forum and carry on posting crap from youtube.

That was just a link ........I've seen it done personally, they used a router slitting cutter to open up the unit remove the existing dessicant crystals from the extrusions put new crystals in and reassembled paying particular attention to ensure there were no particals within the unit.

It was a friends family member that he went to see about something at work and he was working and showed us how he did it.
There's really nothing to it, it's simple.

FACT EASY TO REFURBISH A SEALED DOUBLE UNIT .......whether people do it or prefer to make more money selling new units that's another thing or offering systems different to how they are originally manufactured because they're trying to make a quick buck that again is another thing.
But your facts are WRONG it can be easily done. I've seen it done you obviously haven't.

To be honest I was suprised how it's not very technical at all very simple straightforward process,
Of couse if you've never seen it done in a factory you might be lead in to believing otherwise.

And if your a real numpty you might believe it's not possible to refurb one at all, a bit like you. Plonker

Last edited:
Are you jumping up and down knowsnowt you silly little clown ? Shouting yes and fisting the air ? I do so hope your enjoying yourself.
Little things ........

Refurbishment! Pffft! It ain't a fix its a temporary repair which will fail again and a darn sight quicker quicker than a new DG unit will. Muppet. Now off you pop back to the GD.

Refurbishment! Pffft! It ain't a fix its a temporary repair which will fail again and a darn sight quicker quicker than a new DG unit will. Muppet. Now off you pop back to the GD.

You silly silly person, not man enough to admit you've got it wrong.
Temporary repair ...idiot it's how they bloody make them, how is it a temporary repair if they are carrying out the same process as it was originally made ?

I've seen it done had it explained what they do and why .........you obviously haven't and want to persist in your erroneous view ....feel free ......Ignorance is bliss .....you must be very happy.

Looking at all options and all comments thanks to you all - weighing it up and considering the glazed unit is 20 years old my option would be to get a new glazed unit as they are not that expensive and it seems like a lot of work for the other option and probably not any cheaper.My only concern which should have been a measurement issue - it should have been 22m or 24mm but as usual in life nothing straight forward, i had a 23mm unit sods law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back