foil plasterboard over old lath & plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Help please I need to fix a foil backed board over a lath & plaster wall which is not too sound. In fact the window reveal feels like a cement based board so rather than remove I want to board over just in case it contains asbestos. Has anyone any ideas re fixing it as I don't want to batten it or drill it.

I was thinking of using gripfill but then I read somewhere that foil backed board must be screwed as not suitable for dot & dab.

Cheers

Charles

Sponsored Links
Surley if is a lath and plaster wall, then the plaster will be lime based. If you cover it with gypsum you'll stop it being able to breath and trap any moisture in teh walls. Thisa will leasd to damp problems in the future. How old is the property?

Surley if is a lath and plaster wall, then the plaster will be lime based. If you cover it with gypsum you'll stop it being able to breath and trap any moisture in teh walls. Thisa will leasd to damp problems in the future. How old is the property?

Not sure but is scottish granite farmhouse - probably victorian but cant see any horse hair in the plaster hence my thought that there may be some later update using a cement board in the bay window. Does already seem to be some damp on the wall and just wanted to stop it penetrating new board. Hence choice of foil backing

Sponsored Links
If it is a cement board, it may be the cause of the damp... originally it would have been a lime mix, which is breathable, and allows and moisture to evaporate out of the walls, inside and out - cement will not allow this and so traps the moisure.

If it were me, i'd get someone in to check the boards (for asbestos etc, then remove it all, and redoit with lime.

Covering up a problem doesn't always make it go away ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back