Footballers and their behind the scenes commitments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, we are always told that overpaid footballers do a vast amount of charity and media work behind the scenes that it helps justify their salaries.

From MSN Sport

Van Gaal spoke at his unveiling about the hefty commercial demands of being Manchester United manager.

Woodward is sure any sponsor commitments will not impact on the new manager and his players though.

"It doesn't disrupt the football club," he said.

"We plan very carefully about who does what and when.

"The average time (for media and charity commitments for the staff) over the last couple of years has been about 0.7 hours per week."

From this, are we to believe that less than 45 minutes per week is enough to be classed as charity work? I seem to spend more time than that each week picking up charity bags from our doormat and listening to the doorsteppers asking for my bank details so can I claim to be doing a lot for charity? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
thats probably the time it takes to fill in there tax return etc for claiming out of pocket expenses on behalf of so called charity.

I've been to two charity nights at Old Trafford, one was a Bryan Robson night and one was Ryan Giggs, both very entertaining and worth every penny.

These raised many, many thousands for the chosen charity(s).

Footballers do raise very significant amounts of money for charity and local causes, no doubt, IMHO.

Sponsored Links
Footballers do raise very significant amounts of money for charity and local causes, no doubt, IMHO.

I have no doubt that they do raise vast amounts but it must only really be because of their names and high profile, as the amount of time they are putting in is obviously not enough to raise so much. I was quite surprised to read that so little time is actually spent doing that kind of work, although I'm sure there must be players from 'lesser clubs' and 'lower leagues' that have to do far more to raise far less.

These raised many, many thousands for the chosen charity(s).
How many and what percentage of the team's weekly wage was it?

What has this got to do with it?

There is no obligation to do anything at all or is there an expectation, by some, because they earn vast amounts?

Football can be a very short career with the odd exceptions going into management or becoming a tv pundit so why shouldn't they be rewarded with ample pay?

Other industries pay big bucks for high achievers especially those that possess skills found in a minute % of the population. Do they do as much for charity or the local community?

I would love to be in the position where I could afford to give large sums of money to good causes. Not the usual high profile charities where the money goes directly towards the directors new car or is sent abroad, but individual cases like the child who needs £££ for a life saving operation.

If I got £10m a year for 90 or 180 minutes per week work I may have time do something for charity - or just donate.

Yeah, that's all they do :rolleyes:
Where did the £10mil a year come from?

It's easy to bash those highly paid footballers but are they really the one's that should be blamed?

The crazy wages are nothing to do with the footballers.

Instead of bashing why not point out the crazy amounts of tax they pay(rightly so)?

I am sure the charities have benefited more because of the footballers than have suffered, isn't that a good thing?

As you say, you'd donate large sums to charity.........what makes you think they don't?

The point of my OP wasn't to bash the footballers for their earnings or fundraising powers, but just to point out that they are always championed for doing so much unseen charity work. The quote from that article clearly paints a different picture.

That said, I do agree that their salaries are way over the top. If you take the UK 'average' yearly salary as being £30k, then over 50 working years the 'average joe' will earn £1.5m, whereas a footballer can earn 10 times that in one year, before their personal endorsements. :eek:

FORBES

I would love to be in the position where I could afford to give large sums of money to good causes. Not the usual high profile charities where the money goes directly towards the directors new car or is sent abroad, but individual cases like the child who needs £££ for a life saving operation.

I've never thought much of Ronaldo, the ex man u one. But he did exactly this for a kid before the world cup, good on him, went right up in my estimation.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...htve10me1nzkZTkXBcyPRDg&bvm=bv.71667212,d.ZGU

It's all relevant though. The players are paid what they are worth to the club.

Sponsors will only offer them contracts based upon what that player is worth to them.

I believe the shirt sales alone paid David Beckham's transfer fee when he moved to Real Madrid.

Football has gone way beyond a family day out for the masses and business has taken over, but the stadiums are still packed out.

The comparison with Joe Public is a little unfair, they aren't Joe Public they are 0.0007% of the population capable of doing this job.

Yes the wages are obscene to most of us but that's not the point.

I do believe they do a lot for charity, would they openly admit to how much? I wouldn't.

This is probably going to take the thread down a different route but in today's news we are hearing that the recession is over, GDP is up etc... yet we are also hearing that the standard of living for the average person is still below what it was 7 years ago. I don't see these footballers as having a lower standard of living than they did back then and it's their kind of wages (and tax returns) which contribute to the overall figures getting better. In reality, the vast majority of people can see no real difference to their lives, and of those that can, it's probably for the worse.

Help.....fat fingers and small tablet make for difficult use.

I meant to quote the op and pressed the ignore button by mistake :oops:

How do I reverse this?

Edit: OK Terry, read the instructions.

Done it now.

This is probably going to take the thread down a different route but in today's news we are hearing that the recession is over, GDP is up etc... yet we are also hearing that the standard of living for the average person is still below what it was 7 years ago. I don't see these footballers as having a lower standard of living than they did back then and it's their kind of wages (and tax returns) which contribute to the overall figures getting better. In reality, the vast majority of people can see no real difference to their lives, and of those that can, it's probably for the worse.

I don't think anyone earning £40k and upwards noticed any difference, really.

Those on footballers wages wouldn't notice any difference no matter what happens :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back