Footing the bill

C

calorific

Every insurance claim, every libel or slander payout, every damages payment has to be paid by whom?

Thus, in the forthcoming cases and claims for compensation against the BBC, who is going to foot the bill? Moreover, who is going to end up paying the legal beavers within that disabling profession who will once again make a healthy profit from the misfortunate abuse by saville?

The victims may well have a case, but why should you or I have to pay for it when we had fook all to do with it??? Paying car or house insurance is basically a bit of a gamble by all parties concerned, and we agree to the nature of the game. But mandatory payments for a licence, regardless of whether you actually watch or listen to anything created by the BBC or not is a different kettle of fish :confused:

Sponsored Links
Every insurance claim, every libel or slander payout, every damages payment has to be paid by whom?
I think we all know the answer to that.

Paying car or house insurance is basically a bit of a gamble by all parties concerned, and we agree to the nature of the game. But mandatory payments for a licence, regardless of whether you actually watch or listen to anything created by the BBC or not is a different kettle of fish
As a parent one place you would expect your kids to be safe on a day out is the BBC. To find out that they had a pervert operating with kids that had come to see their programmes being made is shocking. To find out that he was doing it with the full knowledge of virtually the whole corporation is scandalous.
They are a public service, public funded body and they didn't give a fck about those kids. They should be nervous.

Totally agree.

I'm totally happy with paying my taxes to fund the NHS for everyone's use (let's not get into the johnny foreigner argument on this one, please), which includes psych and counselling care for those who require it. However, I'm not quite so enamoured by a single penny of my TV licence fee going towards legal beavers on either side nor (and I know this sounds mighty harsh) those who were abused by a paedophile who happened to work there.

I think you'll find that all public bodies are required to have liability insurance...

Therefore whilst we would collectively pay the premium, that is a fraction of any payouts..

No different from your normal household insurance, unless you feel you should bear the full costs if someone claims against someone in your home...

More annoying are the gold plated pensions we fully fund that often go to lying corrupt cops!

Sponsored Links
Yet any kids who were abused by that pr*ck should totally be recompensed as far as that's possible.
And the fact that they made him into a star attraction is what helped him do his "thing" more than anything else.
So they are completely to blame, and they're in the firing line whether it's proved they knew or not.
I think most people will feel the same as regards to where their licence fee will be going and that's probably the main reason why they should be nervous. Paying out a few million in compensation would be no big deal to them, being seen to have to do it with our money will open the whole debate about licence fees again, as you knew.

The victims may well have a case, but why should you or I have to pay for it when we had fook all to do with it???

I think any compensation should be from saviles personal estate.

But getting away from savile.....

What about murder victims?
Should huge amounts of compensation be awarded to the family of the deceased????? How can his/her life be compensated for??? How much was their life worth??? and why should the taxpayer pay for it???? And why to the family??? When you say family, does that include aunts and uncles???

The intricate world of compensation is a complete minefield.

IMO. If someone felt the need to chop my leg off with a machete, the only person that owes me is the perpetrator himself. Not the taxpayer.

IMO. If someone felt the need to chop my leg off with a machete, the only person that owes me is the perpetrator himself. Not the taxpayer.
I assume you don't believe in the concept of 'society' then?

In which case why should the taxpayer also pay for any treatment required?

I think any compensation should be from saviles personal estate.

I believe he left most of it to charity. So do other people then suffer if it's somehow taken back?

But if public bodies have been involved in a cover-up, should they not be liable?

But if public bodies have been involved in a cover-up, should they not be liable?
Of course they should. Completely different area of the 'minefield'.

How about the people that were witness to saviles vile acts putting their hand in their pockets.

What about them???

How about the people that were witness to saviles vile acts putting their hand in their pockets.
If they covered it up they should be prosecuted and subject to any penalties...

If they were witnesses ditto...

If they covered it up they should be prosecuted and subject to any penalties...

If they were witnesses ditto...

Exactly, so surely every single one of them, individually, should pay any compensation awarded to the victims(if any).

Look at the nurses who witnessed it and 'knew' all about it. What about the personal assistants and back stage crew from his shows? So why should they not all pay dearly???

Truth is......... they'll end up paying just the same as the average joe.

Exactly, so surely every single one of them, individually, should pay any compensation awarded to the victims(if any).
No, that's not what I said.

Anyone who is alleged to have witnessed/covered up an offence should be prosecuted and pay the penalty.

But you can't do anyone for not acting on heresay, as what crime has been commited?

If we had a system that the only compensation a victim got was from the perpetrator, then I guess most would get nothing!

In the abscence of the ability to compensate, then a civilised society should take care of the victim...

But then you couldn't be bothered to tell us whether you believe in society... ;)

Anyone who is alleged to have witnessed/covered up an offence should be prosecuted and pay the penalty.

Not good enough. What financial penalty would be their percentage towards compensation. A drop in the ocean, and you know it.

But you can't do anyone for not acting on heresay, as what crime has been commited?

I wasn't talking about hearsay, who mentioned hearsay????

If we had a system that the only compensation a victim got was from the perpetrator, then I guess most would get nothing!

Harsh but true on an individual basis, But why would compensation make it all better anyway, knowing the general public have paid for it.

But then you couldn't be bothered to tell us whether you believe in society... ;)

Made my views quite clear on our 'sold down the river society' many times. :D ;)

Not good enough. What financial penalty would be their percentage towards compensation. A drop in the ocean, and you know it.
Very little of course because most don't have the money...

So I presume you advocate the 'blood out of a stone' approach... :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about hearsay, who mentioned hearsay????
I refer to your comment: "and 'knew' all about it"...

Harsh but true on an individual basis, But why would compensation make it all better anyway, knowing the general public have paid for it.
It wouldn't 'make it all better', but it might make it easier and be a confirmation that other people cared instead of feeling they were alone!

Made my views quite clear on our 'sold down the river society' many times.
Except when it comes to individual hardship... ;)

It wouldn't 'make it all better', but it might make it easier and be a confirmation that other people cared instead of feeling they were alone!

Marvellous.

What a comfortable dreamy bubble you must live in.

What about a mandatory three week cruise, that'll ease the pain surely. :rolleyes:

The world of compensation has indeed gone bonkers.

Sponsored Links
Back