footings for block shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I've got myself set on a project for next year of building a more permanent shed at the bottom of my garden.

i've pretty much decided on block construction, rendered and painted with a flat roof to end up something like this:

cache_2411149173.jpg

having done some research on footings for the wall and slab floor i've come up with this:

the shed will only be used for storing valuable items such lawnmower, garden tools etc, plus maybe in the future i will turn it into a little gym

some of the pictures i've seen have the wall extending below ground level:

20120816_154829_0.jpg

so im thinking of going a course or 2 of bricks deeper, anyway, can someone comment on the dimensions on my 'drawing' and whether i have missed something major.
overall dimensons will be approx 3.5m x 2.5m

Cheers

Sponsored Links
My only comment would be if you're maybe going to turn in to a gym put some insulation in the floor while you can. Anything else can be added later.

My only comment would be if you're maybe going to turn in to a gym put some insulation in the floor while you can. Anything else can be added later.

good point, doing a bit more research suggests that 150mm slab thickness is overkill for low load applications ie anything but garages and 100mm is perfectly adequate?

Your footing is not a footing.

Your 250mm of concrete is the depth of topsoil and vegetation, so is doing nothing. You then have hardcore, which is doing even less than the ground you removed to put the hardcore in.

You foundation needs to be at a level at least 600mm below ground level, perhaps more depending on the ground conditions. And never lay a foundation on hardcore.

Sponsored Links
Your footing is not a footing.

Your 250mm of concrete is the depth of topsoil and vegetation, so is doing nothing. You then have hardcore, which is doing even less than the ground you removed to put the hardcore in.

You foundation needs to be at a level at least 600mm below ground level, perhaps more depending on the ground conditions. And never lay a foundation on hardcore.

thanks for the advice, my sources were wrong :cry:

Well, you just need to dig down to ground that won't move enough to cause your building to fail. If you're on rock that may be 2 inches for a block of flats. If you're on clay surrounded by oak trees that might be 3m unless you're building a tent.
Just because something worked for someone else doesn't mean it will for you. Sometimes it's worth a bit more digging to save problems later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back