Footings/foundations question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after some advice on a gas pipe.I am putting some footings in for a conservatory and came across a gas pipe (in plastic yellow so it must be gas) my problem is its not really far enough under the ground and will run straight through my footings, so what do i do with it?.Can i wrap it in something, bury it with concrete (i think not), sleeve it (in what).You probably get the idea so any input is welcome thanx :D

Sponsored Links
Try pipe insulation then a bit of down pipe cut down its length to clip over the insulation. That will keep it in the middle of the the sleeve and remain flexible.

Dont know where in the footings it will come so you may want to put some reinforcing over the pipe too.

I'm not entirely sure of the regs governing underground gas pipes, but recent jobs whereby the gas main would be covered over by a new building, then this pipe would require moving so that the supply was entirely on the outside of the build.

for example; if the current meter was in a box on the (external) side of the house where a new extension would be built, then the new meter MUST be re-located to the new outside wall.

this was so that the pipe would not be under the dwelling and not particularly for the obvious reason that the meter would be easier to read.

Sponsored Links
Back again, the meter is inside the house and the gas pipe in question is barely four inches underground right upto the house.I don't wanna move it so i am lookin for a workaround.As the pipe will only be a few inches under the ground a lintel is out of the question but insulation and an extra cover pipe sounds like a good idea but i could do with offering it support from underneath, again all input is good input so please keep it coming.Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back