Footings next to a garden wall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was going to build a building at the bottom of my garden, there is a 6 foot double brick width garden wall running around my garden and the building would have the wall on two sides of it .
How is the best way to dig the foundations without the wall collapsing ?
Was going to go the trench foundations way? many thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you use the walls as part of the building? Or is this too easy? A double brick wall must have good foundations - I'd think it possible to use them for your new building. Dont take it from me though, im not an expert.

a garden wall will usually be very damp

but if you dig out the trenches for the two sides that abut the wall, you will be able to see what sort of foundation (if any) it has

if you have to dig next to an old wall, dig out a small bay and fill that with concrete before digging another small bay, and so on. That prevents a long section of wall being undermined. uou can bang steel rods through the end of each trench to tie your new sections together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back