"For best results remove immediately after painting" ... but !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"For best results remove immediately after painting" ... this is what ALL the masking tape manufacturers says in their instructions. But what about my 2nd coat?

Maybe it's primer and top coat or 2 top coats or whatever - I invariably need 2 coats of paint. I like to use a masking tape in some situations. Am I supposed to remove and then reapply new tape between coats ? (what a bother!!)

Is this just a ploy to sell twice as much tape? Or do people more skilled than me not tape for the 2nd coat? Or not tape for the 1st coat? Or something else?

Advice pls. ))

Sponsored Links
In the past I've left the tape on between coats and then when I've removed it, the paint has obviously dried so it's bonded to the tape. Peel the tape off and the paint comes off with it, so you end up no better off.

This could be of course down to a number of factors, type of tape and quality of paint for example.

I have since used frogtape (I know it's expensive), the low tack yellow stuff and remove, night right after a coat, but just as I think it's about to go off. That gives best results I've found.

"

Is this just a ploy to sell twice as much tape? Or do people more skilled than me not tape

Advice pls. ))
The pros tend not to use tape and "cut in"with the paint. But as said, frogtape is better than most.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back