Ford Focus Ecoboost Oil leak

Hi CDBE
U say 'sold as a non replaceable lifetime part', wouldn't that make Ford liable for the repair if it breaks?

Sponsored Links
Yes, am sure you're right.
Also your service record would have to be spot on carried out at main dealer,

You'll get the usual three years warranty....and not a day after that!
You may get the option of warranty extension of course, and that will hit the pocket hard!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi CDBE
U say 'sold as a non replaceable lifetime part', wouldn't that make Ford liable for the repair if it breaks?

I would have thought so in theory, the car has a FSH (independent Vat registered garage, OEM parts etc) but I suspect (as appears to be the case for many victims) we'd get nowhere if it failed - they'd no doubt blame it on another part etc. It amazes me that they can get away with treating customers like this (especially when we pay taxes for a Trading Standards service that's supposed to protect us). I believe they've had to cough up on the coolant pipe due to massive pressure but not on the belts.

Unfortunately I have no will for a fight, the car's been hammered round town for 8 years by my elderly mother (who only occasionally remembers to change gear) so time to cut our (minimal losses). Nearly every car supermarket we went to while shopping - first question was "have we had the belt changed?"

I think some manufacturers will step up to the mark where direct safety issues are concerned....I'm talking Nissan and the Navarra chassis here.
Izuzu also played ball with injectors for the Trooper long after the warranty period but I guess that is rare.

I think some manufacturers will step up to the mark where direct safety issues are concerned....I'm talking Nissan and the Navarra chassis here.
Izuzu also played ball with injectors for the Trooper long after the warranty period but I guess that is rare.
Direct safety issues, agreed.

Long life claims, different thing.

Doesn't make it right, but it's the will and expense for the fight needed

Thanks for your comments, would the £1000 cost include changing both belts or just the cambelt.
If only the cambelt is the oil pump belt just as complicated to change.
Thanks again
I would expect a Ford dealer to charge about £1500 to change both belts. Both should be done together to minimise labour costs. From memory it takes about 10 hours. While they have the sump off get them to check the oil strainer, once the belts start to deteriorate bits of rubber come off them and clog the strainer in the sump. If the strainer gets clogged the engine loses oil pressure and you haven't got many seconds between the oil light coming on the dash and the engine failing beyond economic repair.

Matter of interest what do u have to do to change the belts, is oil pump belt done with just sump off?
What about the other belt, what part of the engine has to be taken apart or is it engine out job?

with some failures reported at under 30k. Ours (27k miles) is being traded in for a Peugeot 108. We got a reasonable trade-in price and I see no reason to shell out all this money with the associated risks of having a complicated engine stripped down and rebuilt.
Oh dear! I hope it hasn't got a PSA puretech 3cyl?

You may need to check the model, as they also have a very poorly thought out wet timing belt.

I have a 2017 Citroen C3, it started having intermittent engine warning messages, but I didn't think much of it, as they disappeared after a restart. Within a week the car was recalled - as a turbo, it was found that timing belt debris was blocking the tiny oil filter to the vacuum pump providing breaking assistance - not a good thing.

So I've had a new timing belt and oil pump courtesy of Citroen, way outside of warranty, but I'm left with the feeling - if it wasn't for the safety of the breaking system failing, would there have been a recall at all, and given my car has been serviced from new by the main dealer - when will this happen again.

Talking to the mechanic, they are flat out with the recall and most of the cars they see are having their timing belts changed.

The engine is also so ubiquitous across the Stellantis brands, I think I'm going to steer clear of Vauxhall's, Citroen's and Peugeot's for my next purchase!

The engine is also so ubiquitous across the Stellantis brands, I think I'm going to steer clear of Vauxhall's, Citroen's and Peugeot's for my next purchase!
Can it be assumed, then, that this same engine is fitted to the Toyota Aygo?

Oh dear! I hope it hasn't got a PSA puretech 3cyl?

You may need to check the model, as they also have a very poorly thought out wet timing belt.

I have a 2017 Citroen C3, it started having intermittent engine warning messages, but I didn't think much of it, as they disappeared after a restart. Within a week the car was recalled - as a turbo, it was found that timing belt debris was blocking the tiny oil filter to the vacuum pump providing breaking assistance - not a good thing.

So I've had a new timing belt and oil pump courtesy of Citroen, way outside of warranty, but I'm left with the feeling - if it wasn't for the safety of the breaking system failing, would there have been a recall at all, and given my car has been serviced from new by the main dealer - when will this happen again.

Talking to the mechanic, they are flat out with the recall and most of the cars they see are having their timing belts changed.

I believe it's the 1.0 na Toyota, only a few years old with 600 miles on the clock - doubt it'll have reached 5 figures by the time we're done with it. It's some sort of COVID thing with the low mileage, and we haven't actually got it yet - they have the car in the main dealers but no keys - we think the owner succumbed and took them to the grave and the family handed it back off the driveway so all a bit up in the air at the moment - the ford continues chugging round town eating it's cambelt.

Can it be assumed, then, that this same engine is fitted to the Toyota Aygo?
The EB engine is the one to look for in the following link...

Yes, the original Aygo had an EB PSA engine - although to be fair, I don't know if all the versions have the wet timing belt, and I don't know if the non-turboed versions have faired better than the turboed.
Although I do know that there have been rolling recalls for various versions of this engine, so many will have been 'fixed' by now.

...and I believe the replacement timing belt (and those on new engines), are of a slightly different composition.
The cars firmware has been adjusted to recognise oil flow issues and the service and maintenance schedule has been adjusted to check the timing belt at every service - so again to be fair, the problem may be mitigated against!

Last edited:
Matter of interest what do u have to do to change the belts, is oil pump belt done with just sump off?
What about the other belt, what part of the engine has to be taken apart or is it engine out job?
To replace both wet belts they have to strip down the top, side and bottom of the engine. An experienced mechanic is going to need about 10 hours to do it. The engine can stay in the car. These belts were originally supposed to last the life of the engine so they were not designed with ease of replacement in mind. I suppose it could be said that they do last the life of the engine, as when a belt breaks the engine dies.

Sponsored Links
Back