Help Oil Leak!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Wonder of anyone can poi nt me in the right direction. I have a 1998 Golf Mark 3 1.6i engine Code AEE. I noticed that there is Oil leaking form underneath the Car. When i took it to Kwik Fit they said it is no leaking from the Sump Bolt or Sump but higher up the engine towards the top! Oil pressure switch is OK and so is the Rocker Cover Gasket they said! Anybody any ideas where oil maybe be leaking from back of the engine? many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, i wouldn't rely on anything kwak fat have said.
Secondly, Is it a genuine VW oil filter you're using?
Thirdly, are you sure it's engine oil?

The way forward is to pressure wash the engine off so you can get a better idea of where it's coming from.
I would suspect either the oil breather, or camshaft oil seal is shot, usually from fitting cheap oil filters which don't have the pressure bypass valve in!
Could also be the headgasket, but they're suaully pretty robust on the golfs unless it's been driven by someone thinking it's a Gti!

How much is it losing?

Hi ^Neo^

I have always insisted on and even supplied my own Genuine VW Oil filters. Definetly engine oil as I have placed a cardboard underneath the car and it was engine oil. Even Changed Oil recently to see if it was sump plug and even smeared Thread sealant onto the bolt. The leak appears somewhere near the Air Filter Housing or thereabouts! when looking form underneath the car! Many thanks.

if it is coming from the air box, then it's probably a blocked breather pipe.
Take them off and clean them out with brake cleaner or petrol.

Sponsored Links
Hi ^Neo^

Many thaks for your very useful information on the problem. One quick question, the breather pipe connection to the Air Filter body is puch fir but the other end which connects to the engine seems to be moulded on?? How can this be disconnected? It appears to be factory moulded on and cannot be disconnected? many thanks.

HI ^Neo^

Many thanks for the link but there was no mention of how the crankcase breather hose undoes or connects to etc! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

HI ^Neo^

Many thanks for the link but there was no mention of how the crankcase breather hose undoes or connects to etc! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Did you register?
The hose is held in place by a metal clip which needs just flicking out.
That is the complete parts catalogue for every VW/Audi and Seat made since 1975, so will be on there somewhere!

Hi ^Neo^

Opened the bonnet yesterday to find where leak was coming from and found the cu;prit is the Oil Pressure switch!!!! Oil is coming from between the Plastic insulateing material and the copper contact! This is the second switch whihc I bought from Euro Car Parts which has developed the same fault! many thanks for all oyur assistance.

Sponsored Links
Back