Oil leak

M

marsaday

I have a leak on my van, but i dont think it is from the oil sump. I may be wrong, but i have looked at where the sump is and the oil leak is to the right of this area.

I have taken a photo underneath the van and from above in the engine area.

View media item 62354
View media item 62355
There is a gap down the side of the main block of engine and this is where the leak is coming from.

Could this be the gear box area ?

Sponsored Links
We are looking at the bottom of the gearbox here, and the usual place for leaks is where the driveshaft (with the rubber boot) enters the gearbox itself.
Of course, it could be something leaking from far above.....its a bit hard to tell.
John :)

Doesn't really look dirty enough for sump oil, unless you change it frequently, could be diesel from the leak off pipes possibly.

Peter

right thanks for that. If it is the gearbox, how soon do i need to get it sorted out ?

I have noticed the gears being a bit clunky recently.

Is it an easy fix problem ?

Sponsored Links
You've got to slide under there and wipe around the area to see where the leak actually is.....gear oil comes out clean, with a 'fruity' smell, engine oil is black, and diesel fuel is very thin.
These gearboxes aren't prone to leakage, but the drive shaft oil seal is a main suspect. Although the seal itself is cheap, the driveshaft has to be withdrawn to replace it, which involves a little suspension dismantling.
Also the gearbox oil will be lost, but thats no big deal.
John :)

you could always try the gearbox oil test, take off the gearbox oil filler cap and put finger in level, if oil is there then its at the right level, if you cant feel any, well it has to be going somewhere.
i would suggest looking at the oil seals on the drive shaft first..

Back