Forgot about knotting solution...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DIY job going smoothly as usual - I forgot to put knotting solution on my new skirting boards and they're primed and glossed...

Any tips for getting the best possible finish out of this situation? Should I sand and re-gloss, or does it need primer too?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Knotting can only be applied to raw wood, you cant do it after. Primer should then be applied before any undercoat. It wont serve any purpose to prime now. Better sand down and apply another undercoat then a coat of gloss. You may get yellow rings appearing where the knots are after a few months but as i said not a lot you can do now.

Lightly abrade the existing gloss with 240 grit wet and apply a stain block paint, when dry again lightly abrade taking care not to breakthrough the primer. Then undercoat and gloss, and you can forget about the knots.

Dec

TheDec what stain block paint would you recommend? when using the 240 grit paper should it be used wet or dry?

Sponsored Links
Lightly rub down with 400 wet/dry sandpaper. Buy a small tin of Zinsser bin, touch up over your knots with the bin and if they're severe, give them another, gently "feathering" them out to the edges then apply a coat of Crown solo gloss, over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back