knotting solution showing through paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On some new pine skirting boards as part of a general room upgrade I used 2 applications of Wickes knotting solution on knots, then 1x Zinnser Bullseye and 2x Dulux Trade quick dry (water) Satinwood. I encountered some of the problems people report with the quick dry running then pulling, but tbh it prepared me well for using the same on a load of new mdf installed shelving, where I'm very happy with the finish. (my tip - ignore "use brush for best results" on the tin and use roller)

My issue is the patches of knotting solution have come through the 3x paint in an unattractive pink (I don't know how as the solution is brown). I observed all drying times and sanding. Very annoying as I got all the skirting done before the new carpet, now laid. Was it painted too soon? Having had well over a week since the last coat, will a final satinwood coat cover it up, or does it need more primer? Or will something else help. I really wanted to avoid any oil based paint/fumes/precarious jars of white spirit with bairns in the house.

Sponsored Links
indeed especially as you are using a water based top coat over the spirit based knotting.

indeed especially as you are using a water based top coat over the spirit based knotting.
I painted some softwood cladding with ivory coloured emulsion (to match adjacent plaster). It took four coats to obliterate the knotting.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I suspect that no matter how many coats of topcoat you use, the knotting solution will always eventually bleed through, as you're using water based paint. I know that it's tricky to mix spirit and water paints, so you may need to use a stain block first.

I suspect that no matter how many coats of topcoat you use, the knotting solution will always eventually bleed through, as you're using water based paint. I know that it's tricky to mix spirit and water paints, so you may need to use a stain block first.

I started with Zinnser primer that calls itself a stain block. I'll add coats and hope for an improvement, the length of time its all had to properly dry may have helped. A bit of a trap it seems for those of us who want to stick with water based paints, its not like a complementary water based knotting is widely sold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back