Forgot expansion joint

Poe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I started a garden wall a couple years ago and not sure if I should have put in an expansion joint.
The wall is 4 inch blocks on the flat, I left it just below ground level and put expansion joints every 6 meters.
However at the corner I didn't place an expansion gap so effectively there is 6 meters to the corner (90deg approx) then 6 meters out from the corner.
Or 12 meters of wall length with a corner in the middle with only expansion gaps at each end.
Does this require an expansion gap/movement joint and if so how close to the corner should it be and its it ok to start a new joint when the lower section of wall below ground level doesn't have the joint in it too foundation level?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You don't see expansion joints on any semis. How long/wide are those?

Thanks for the answer woody.
I figured I had (when I started when I started the wall) decided I didn't need any here.
Needed to ask though as can finally get back to finishing the wall and I noticed a small crack in the mortar about a meter out from the corner which I put down to settlement, which I'm hoping won't continue once the wall is completed.
Poe.

Expansion cracks are vertical, and normally through the masonry units too.

If you are minded to form an expansion crack, then it could go in a corner, so that the longer section of wall moves past the other [smaller] section.

Sponsored Links
I'll have a dig down the side of the crack to establish the type of crack.
The ground is made up from spoil I believe and has a lot of clay in it so pretty sure it'll be a settlement crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back