Format C Sime Boiler . . & an underground leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

Hello, I just stumbled across this forum . . I really hope someone can help me. I recently bought a house which has a new Format C, Sime combi-boiler. About a fortnight ago I had to start re-pressurising it each time I switched on the CH, other wise it de-pressurised itself, although it stays pressurised when the CH is on and still provides HW. I had B Gas in who said that it is most likely due to a leak in the pipes somewhere underneath my newly installed floorboards! The problem is that the leak is not obvious so I have no way of knowing exactly where it is . . Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can find it without having to rip up all the floorboards? :cry:

Sponsored Links
sorry mate but No I dont its going to have to be a bit of intrusive investigation I am afaird, but wait a minute one of the others is bound to say that he has a thingajig especially for this

CHeck all your radiator valves - this means taking the plastic caps off, look for crusty bits and stains, and check any carpets underneath for stains.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far . . All the rad valves have recently been fitted so there are no leaks there . . "kevplumb" not quite sure what you mean by the pipe that goes out .. If you mean the overflow .. no it's dry as a bone. B gas man actually suggested going to a water diviner! guess he could tell I am reluctant to rip up my very expensive floor. Does anyone know if there is any sort of gizmo that can detect water?

Re the space under the floor . . Its the downsatirs of the house (Victorian Terrace) so just the foundations . . sounds like I may have to take them up . .Is it worth waiting a while?

kevplumb said:
is there enough space to crawl in ? :D

That's a thought, Yes i think there would be and perhaps it could be done via the understairs cupboard which could minimise the disruption. Top idea!

Why dont you start with isolating the boiler from the rads and see if there is a pressure drop. Then open the isolating valves and again note if pressure drops.. This will tell you if the leak is in the boiler or beyond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back