Foul smell from combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I've just moved into a house that has a combi-boiler installed. On firing up to produce hot water, there is a distinct egg like foul smell from the boiler. Any ideas what would be causing this?

Cheers

Sean.

Sponsored Links
Flue gases, which can kill you. Turn it off immediately and call an engineer.
ChrisR (Corgi regd)

ChrisR said:
Flue gases, which can kill you. Turn it off immediately and call an engineer.
ChrisR (Corgi regd)

Thanks Chris. That's just what I thought!!!

Sponsored Links
I've tested this using the other hot water taps in the house and it's only when the shower is run that the smell is produced. Still the flue gases?

P.S. I'm not staying in the house just now!

You said you had just got the property so best get the boiler serviced as you dont no its history etc. A shower would tend to use min gas pressure but you could still have a flue fault . unless you shower waste passas above the flue terminal ?

Thanks for your advice, and here's a wee update for you.

It turns out that the "foul smell" is not coming from the boiler, but coming back up from an open, waste pipe sitting beside the boiler, that used to have a dishwasher hooked up to it. The shower cubicle (which is upstairs) doesn't seem to drain very quickly and you can here the water gurgling away from this pipe (which is downstairs). A minute or 2 later, the smell comes from the pipe. I presume there is a blockage somewhere. Anything obvious I can do?

Cheers

Sean.

have you tried something like "mr muscle" sink and plug hole unblocker?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back