foundation and depth should I need for patio garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to lay new paving slabs in my garden, probably from the house to approx mid way into the garden, then finish the rest off with grass.

I want to know what materials i need for the foundation and what depth?

Do i need Granular Sub Base MOT1 at approx 75mm then what do i need on top of this, is this the mortar or sharp sand then mortar and paving slab? Not sure hence why i want to check with you guys first.

I'm not expecting the garden to be perfect but its just me mainly doing this project and i have about a month to get it done as we want to enjoy the last of the summer with a bbq party. I can get helpers of course but I need to know exactly what I'm doing.

This is what it currently looks like, it was a massive jungle before, i should have the garden cleaned up by the weekend, then its a matter of deciding to lower or raise the floor then the foundation to go in.

P1010437.jpg

P1010442.jpg

Also need to think of something to put on the fence edges as they will have a gap.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
what type of paving, all of it needs a sub-base of mot at least 75mm preferably 100mm well compacted.

The slab typw will determine what you lay them on

The correct sub-base is MOT type 1 anyone who tells you broken bricks, rubble and or sand is talking nonsense.

Plenty of patios have been layed on junk like that and stayed put fine but that is due to good luck rather than a good base.

100mm of MOT then with slabs like that you can either lay them or mortar about 5:1 - sharp sand : cement or on well compacted screeded sand.

If you want to point them with mortar joints they should be layed on mortar but if you want to jointed them with small 3mm joints filled with kiln dried sand then you can lay them on screeded sand. Screeded sand is a little harder to get right for a diyer.

Sponsored Links
Apart from wickes, where should I go to these mot 1 sub base? And how much jumbo bags you think I'll need.

Trying to do it as cheap as possible but without too bode as its me and my family helping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back