Foundation back fill... soakaway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been excavating for a new patio that isn't flush with the DPC and have found that the foundation trench of our extension is back filled with old bricks and it *looks* like it may be designed as a soakaway.

The foundation blocks are not mortared on their vertical edges and the cavity does not have a tray that spans both skins (But we do have an inter-skin hydro-wick aka cavity wall insulation)

Is this a 'normal' building strategy to drain the cavity below grade and I need to make sure I keep the soakaway integrity?

Or, more likely, were these a bunch of cowboy builders who just dumped their old bricks and mortar into the trench because it was easier and I should just pile soil down there as I expose it?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
I've been excavating for a new patio that isn't flush with the DPC and have found that the foundation trench of our extension is back filled with old bricks and it *looks* like it may be designed as a soakaway.

The foundation blocks are not mortared on their vertical edges and the cavity does not have a tray that spans both skins (But we do have an inter-skin hydro-wick aka cavity wall insulation)

Is this a 'normal' building strategy to drain the cavity below grade and I need to make sure I keep the soakaway integrity?

Or, more likely, were these a bunch of cowboy builders who just dumped their old bricks and mortar into the trench because it was easier and I should just pile soil down there as I expose it?

Cheers :)

is this a new extension underway?

is it a strip foundation with foundation blocks below ground or a mass filled concrete foundation with just one blockwork course and a few brick courses below DPC

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you trying to resolve a dampness issue?

Sponsored Links
So, on the left of this image, behind the spade and fork where I've busted through the concrete and shoved some geo-fabric to stop soil falling down is the area in question. Will get a picture of the actual gap tonight (if I can)

Once I took up the concrete slab/patio/path thing, I found that the area between the foundation blocks and the edge of the foundation excavations (~6-9 inches) just filled with building rubble.

I've exposed at least two foundation blocks so it's a strip foundation.

We have damp issues elsewhere, but I don't think it's related to this. I just don't want to cause one by naively assuming the construction method.

Basically, my gut is saying that the foundations were back-filled with rubble as an easier/cheaper way of getting rid of the rubble and that I should be ok to just level the soil over the top. But part of me worries there may be a reason why you would back-fill with 'free-draining aggregate' (aka bricks)?

So, on the left of this image, behind the spade and fork where I've busted through the concrete and shoved some geo-fabric to stop soil falling down is the area in question. Will get a picture of the actual gap tonight (if I can)

Once I took up the concrete slab/patio/path thing, I found that the area between the foundation blocks and the edge of the foundation excavations (~6-9 inches) just filled with building rubble.

I've exposed at least two foundation blocks so it's a strip foundation.

We have damp issues elsewhere, but I don't think it's related to this. I just don't want to cause one by naively assuming the construction method.

Basically, my gut is saying that the foundations were back-filled with rubble as an easier/cheaper way of getting rid of the rubble and that I should be ok to just level the soil over the top. But part of me worries there may be a reason why you would back-fill with 'free-draining aggregate' (aka bricks)?

I think you’ve just exposed a load of builders crap.

I guess you mean the foundation trench was back filled with builders rubble and are concerned it may be channelling water down to the ground around the strip foundation.

I can’t see that being much reason for concern.

I think you’ve just exposed a load of builders crap.
- Figured that was the case... Damn messy builders.

I guess you mean the foundation trench was back filled with builders rubble and are concerned it may be channelling water down to the ground around the strip foundation.
- Oh, it most definitely IS channelling water down into the foundation trench (especially now I've removed the concrete pathway). I just don't know if it's best to:

A) Try and keep as much muck out as possible to allow the channelling of water to continue.

or

B) Fill that bad boy up with whatever I have around and pretend I never saw it.

or

C) Clear it out and back-fill with a 'proper' back fill material, whatever that may be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back