Foundation for large standing stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have read the advice on here many times but not had to ask a question before, I can't find an answer to this one.

I have a large granite stone, 6'6" about 2.5 tonnes that I want to stand on my lawn. It is firm level ground, slightly clay type soil. I don't want to bury the stone and don't want any plinth showing. The stone has a hole and I will use a 500mm 1" stainless bar to pin it to the slab. What sort of foundation would you do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
then youre looking at having the slab hidden, with the bar coming up through the lawn for it to sit on. If the ground is solid then i would treat it as a glorifed fence post foundation. Dig a hole about 2-3 feet deep and backfill with wet concrete around the supporting rod. The ground will take the weight of the stone, you just want the safety factor of the rock not falling, so a deep slender hole will stop any leverage of the bar. Quite often these things are installed simply sitting on the soil, with no support.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
I was thinking about two foot deep, I will go a bit further. I am planning on leaving a well in the top that I will fill with concrete just before I lift the stone so that I can tip the stone upright with the rod already in it. Not sure if this will work as I will unable to get to it to tamp it down. Will I need to?

i would think that will be fine. have fun lifting it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back