Remove lawn and lay stones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my neighbour is getting old and has decided she no longer wants to have a lawn to cut. She has a small lawn of about 12' x 12' surrounded by a 1' border of 20mm stones which in turn is then surrounded by big path stones/slabs. She wants to cover the whole area up to the slabs in some small stones possibly the same 20mm stones.

So I have a few questions as she has asked if I can do it for her, which I am willing to do as the area is not so large.

I was assuming I need to take away the grass and about 2" of soil, then level and lay a memebrane and then 2" of stones but is this correct?

1. Do I need to remove that much soil?

2. Do I need to have that thick a layer of stones?

3. Would it be ok to use 20mm stones from a builders merchant, ie the one they sell to make ballast or do I need to get the ones from a garden centre?

4. Anything else I should consider doing or getting?

I imagine I will end up with a load of soil to get rid of from previous experience in my garden. I also imagine this sort of job could be done in a day, by myself what do you reckon?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
get a decenet weed fabric such as plantex. Apply weedkiller to teh area. cover the area with the fabric and lap it all joints. cover with stones, minimum of 3 inches. Job done

Forgot to ask is there an easy way to calculate how many stones I need?

Do you think one of those jumbo lorry delivered bags would do? (ie 2" thick with area of 13'x13' including the border already there)?

you need a minimum of 3 inches to cover it. work on about 12-14m2 per bulk bag, depending on who the bag is from!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back