Foundation for small railway sleeper retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to build a small sleeper retaining wall in my garden to surround, what will eventually be, a small seating area. I have already dug out the area that needs retaining (all three sides - see picture) and at the highest point the bank is no more than 40cm. I will install the sleepers, no more than two sleepers high, fitted on their narrow side and against posts.

I was planning on digging a shallow trench around the perimeter (see attached picture) and filling with sand so that I can easily adjust the levels of the heavy sleepers. However, I have since read that either a semi-wet concrete mix or gravel would be better alternatives. I'm leaning towards the gravel to aid with drainage.

Has anybody got any experience with this? And advantages of using either?

Thanks,

Tom
Garden.jpg

Sponsored Links
I was just doing the same earlier today and i used weak semi dry concrete. 5 gravel 2 sand 1 cement.

The screws/bolts will provide the retaining strength so all you need is something to keep it out of the mud. I prefer semidry concrete as it will never move about like gravel could although for that height i would be happy enough to use gravel if you prefer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back