Foundation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Just helped the neighbour take down his very rotten wooden conservatory (just leant on it and over it all went in a pile of powder!).

Anyway, this was built on a slab foundation which looks like it was just poured on top of the ground (though it is about 6inches thick at least).

On the outer edge (edge farthest from the back of the house) I could get can get my fingers under slab, so soil has either washed away or slab was just cast on top of the garden. The slab is much lower at this point as well and the whole thing looks as if it has moved a good 1" and a half away from the house taking with it the outside half of a full height wall! Huge diagonal crack in the wall i can get half my hand in!

We are going to build a new conservatory there and as the knackered walls will need to come down neighbour is going to get a slightly larger conservatory. Should we completely kango out the raft that is there and effectively start again or (as new conservatory will be slightly bigger) just leave it there put new trench foundation in around the outside brick up to slab height and then level the whole base up by pouring new concrete between new wall and existing slab all around and over the top of existing base until we have a nice level base again? Hope that kind of makes sense? I think that might give some dpc issues though?

Thoughts welcome. Thanks!

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
I'd start again and do it right this time,no point paying all that money for a conservatory when the base isn't stable.did you dig down to see what depth was under the soil?

Thanks for reply. Was thnking the same really myself - think neighbour thought it might save time. In the long run I thnk it will cost more time and trouble than its worth.

We didn't dig down as there was an almighty biblical style downpour just as we were finishing removing wood. We almost had to don life jackets to stop the rest of the conservatory sailing away!

Cheers

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
Get rid of and start again. It's not worth titting about with what's there at the moment.

Or get Noah to build you a fish tank with many different levels (multi-storey carp ark....is that my hat and coat? Taxi for one!)

Thanks all. Will just out the lot and start from scratch.

Fish tank might not be a bad idea. Rain was unbelievable :eek:

Cheers

DaveJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back