Foundation thickness for freestanding garden wall pier

SFK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I want a free standing pier that is 2 bricks wide by 2 bricks deep (ie 18inches by 18inches), And will be about 4 feet tall topped with a flat pier cap.

What thickness do I need the concrete foundations to be to support this?

With thanks, sfk

Sponsored Links
Without sounding stupid :rolleyes: are you only wanting to build a column, or are you intending to do something with this, or attach anything to it.

Only ask as this will obviously affect the size of the base.

Dear Andy,
They are to be free standing columns on either side of house footpath.
So they might have a light garden gate on them.
sfk

i would make a small concrete pile say 30cms deep fix some rebar running into the centre of the brick column-assuming it isnt soild and then fill the gap with concrete.

Sponsored Links
Dear Both,
With many thanks for your responses - and thinking of a mixture of your responses based on the ground I have).

So I think I will go for 600mm x 600mm (so it overhangs the piers by 75mm on each side) and 300mm thick at a starting depth of 600mm (as this is depth that ground is very stable).

And a couple of re-bar in this that stick up and out of the top to form the brick pier around.

With many thanks

sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back