foundation trench

jtc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am digging a trench for a single storey rear extension. Next door has already got a similiar extension and my foundation will go to within 50mm of theirs, brickwork 150mm. How do I prevent my concrete joining onto their foundations, I have been told to put a board between them, what type of board would this be ? Also my house is on a higher level than theirs so my foundations will be partially at the height of their below ground brickwork. Again how do I stop the concrete going on their brickwork as I cannot leave a 50mm strip of earth between them ?

Sponsored Links
use 2" polystyrene sheet or even clay heave barrier betwix the concrete foundations and set your concrete at the same level as the n'bours.
just lay a few more brick corses. ;)

noseall said:
use 2" polystyrene sheet or even clay heave barrier betwix the concrete foundations and set your concrete at the same level as the n'bours.
just lay a few more brick corses. ;)

Thanks, polystyrene sounds good and simple. Not sure about digging deeper for the foundation depth though, we are talking about a 1.5 m trench then possibly a bit more but I havnt dug down much yet to confirm the depth, any other sugguestions.

Your foundations should be at the same level when they are that close of you will imposed load onto your neighbours footings, which could settle and cause damage to their property. Which could end up costing you a large sum of cash.
What does your party wall award detail show? Assuming you have one and have an agreement in place which you should have.

Sponsored Links
Static said:
Your foundations should be at the same level when they are that close of you will imposed load onto your neighbours footings, which could settle and cause damage to their property. Which could end up costing you a large sum of cash.
What does your party wall award detail show? Assuming you have one and have an agreement in place which you should have.

Yes I see what you mean about the level now. Will it be possible to change it to a strip foundation at that depth meaning I may not have to go as deep or do I need to trench fill with the top of that about a metre deep. The party wall letter just shows a trench fill but no detail of depths or adjoining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back