Foundations / coursing blocks /oversite / slab insulation

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to get my head straight so when groundworker arrives to start on 31m2 extension I have a clue... much appreciate any tips

My plot is very flat and I can just achieve the 150mm minimum between ground level and tying in DPC with existing.

FOUNDATIONS
18m long foundations - because of cost of face bricks and concrete, would the best way be 450*mm trench fill to about two courses short of ground level (so 850mm depth of concrete in a 1m trench). That will leave 150mm below + 150mm above to build up to DPC, is it okay to be this precise...

Inner skin 1 course of blocks and one of coursing blocks (makes 300mm deep?)

Outer skin 1 course of coursing blocks and 3 courses of face bricks (makes 300mm deep?)

DIGGING etc.
What is usual order of groundwork with digger? Is it reduce over whole site and then dig the trenches?

Does a groundworker build up blocks to concrete slab level, pull the slab and and then build up any remaining courses to DPC?

INSULATION
I've got some seconds of 100mm Cellotex but they have a bit of a curve on them (like a lilo) where production set some grooves in them! Thinking if I cut down through the grooves they WILL lay flat, admittedly with some narrow air pockets. I'm thinking to put them below the slab so there's plenty of weight to keep them flat. Any one done this and found it's okay or must I chuck 'em and get some better ones?

* or as req'd by BC

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back