Fox deterrant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently purchased some guinea pigs for our daughter. ll has been well for about a month until last week we found something had been chewing at the wooden hutch and the G.Pigs were very nervous. Another attack on the woodwork today with bits bitten off the hutch. We also saw a large dog fox at our back fence about to climb into the garden......

Has anyone any deterrent ideas to keep him away from our pets. He is a fine looking animal and i dont want to see him harmed but he is becoming a bit of a problem. The G.P's are going to be moved into the shed if i cant find something to keep him away!

Lion droppings was recomended! Not sure how practical that is.......

Sponsored Links
You can get a smelly liquid thing called "Reynardine" which discourages foxes, but now they know you have been putting a delicious snack in the garden for them, they will keep coming back until they're unwrapped it.

If I were you I would staple welded mesh over the entire hutch, including the wooden frame.

And you will be frightening the piggies by leaving them out for the foxes to play with.

ive installed the ultra sonic detarents in customers gardens where foxes have been a nusiance. they are cheap (about £25) but i dont know how they would affect the guniea pigs. May be worth moving the hutches into a shed etc overnight?

Sponsored Links
Even "overnight" may not help. Some chums had a pig taken in the middle of the day.

I have even seen foxes in day time...........................in LONDON

I had problems with foxes & my rabbits, I was advised that foxes dont like male urine. So that gave me a valid excuss for using the garden after a few pints. :LOL: I have had no problems since (that was 8 months ago) & I P at least once a week.

I've heard that most animals avoid the smell of large, mature male carnivores, so if you get a few hairy-arsed builders to pee in your garden that should help. Hold a barbeque!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back