Frame Fixings and Rimlocks

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have fitted a new Mortice Deadlock and Rim Nightlatch for a retired neighbour.

Although it is quite a good big nightlatch, I notice that the staple is only held to the frame by two screws. The frame is just softwood and looks about 30mm thick in the door rebate. In the past I have broken such a lock off by kicking the door when I had left my keys inside.

I was thinking about putting screws right through the frame and into the brick wall. This would mean drilling quite a large hole through the frame as these fixings have quite a wide (as well as long) plastic plug.

Any reason why I shouldn't? Anything extra I should bear in mind?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I thought about that, but surely the bar would have to be the exact size and shape of the staple, so that it was constantly exterting pressure? No good if it doesn't restrain the keep until after it has been kicked loose

BTW I would have used countersunk screws to fit the holes in the rim staple, so no screw heads in the way

I used to work for the 2 biggest glass and frame contractors in the country purely doing insurance work which as it happened was burglary damage so i saw a lot of this daily. If the door was kicked hard enough the frame would split and the keep along with the screws would fall off, even with longer screws into the brickwork would be pulled out, i imagined you using 100mm long frame fixings for the keep hence why i said the heads would be a bit big, even counter sunk. A london bar although would have a bit of play in it like you mentioned would stop the keep falling to the floor and should still keep the door shut.

Sponsored Links
...If the door was kicked hard enough the frame would split and the keep along with the screws would fall off, even with longer screws into the brickwork would be pulled out...

If you have actually seen that happen with longer screws into plugs in the brickwork, I won't bother.

Maybe a wooden block screwed to the wall, pressing against the side of the frame and the keep, would be better. If I cut it to fit carefully, it will be like the staple is morticed into a wider frame.

personally i cant see the problem,you have fitted a decent mortise lock,then the night latch is really a secondary lock???is it not?

hence why insurance companys insist that a mortise lock is fitted as well as not instead off.

yes, but we both know most people rely on the nightlatch most of the time, and only use the deadlock when leaving the house.

one reason for not deadlocking when you are at home is in case you need to escape a fire in the dark or when you can't find the key in the smoke...

There are different sizes and finishes for London Bar, narrow stable, large staple and an adjustable one from Bradley Rose. You could ask your local locksmith for a larger staple. When you fit a new backset to a electric release you end up with also sorts of spare staples.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

thanks, looks like a good site but may be beyond my penny-pinching means :(

p.s. have fitted for my neighbour an ERA double-locking nightlatch, but not the BS version so does not have the protected cylinder or elongated staple.

one reason for not deadlocking when you are at home is in case you need to escape a fire in the dark or when you can't find the key in the smoke...
I leave the spare key in the lock

I have fitted for someone with a metal angle iron on the lock side upper and lower then welded a made up metal bar like the london bar to the angle iron with rawbolts to the brickwork then covered it with timber etc

They got fed up with the regular break in

@JohnD

Using Fischer Plugs as you initially mentioned is fairly normal, I believe and the heads are not so large that you can't countersink them easily to avoid jamming problems.

I did this with my windows with will have less clearance with no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back