lock for l&b door

S

sammoseley

Hi
got myself confused as to what lock to get for outward opening ledge and brace door, lock must be on the inside of the building but opened from outside, ideally I'd want a rim/flange surface mounted lock on the inside of the door but then the surface mounted strike won't work as it would need to be rebated into the frame (door isn't flush with frame on inside as its only a thin l&b door and a 3" frame). hope the above makes sense, I guess I could use a yale with a long strike plate but I think I'd have the same problem with the frame being in the way on the inside.
the ideal would be a surface mounted deadlock with a mortice strike plate, but dont think you can get that combo?!
any advice much appreciated,
cheers
Sam

Sponsored Links
A rim deadlock such as Wickes 159-282 is good for this, with an extra escutcheon for the outside.
You can use a keep from an old mortice lock if you have one handy, or they are easy enough to fabricate from a piece of mild steel. Naturally it would need to be rebated into the frame.
John :)

is it a house door, that needs to be securely locked?

or just an insecure shed?

How thick is it?

Sponsored Links
Depends on how such money you want to spend. There is a conversion box for the Chubb/Union 114/115 mortice lock.
It will plant on to a door that can not receive a conventional mortice lock and the strike plate will plant on to the frame. It is made by Bradley Rose and can be seen here:-
http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/3G11...iac2lrGe2LDsoq1hh_Y89IKUlMyKX-aDT9mm7ObSH2EbO
And you will also need the 114 or 115 lock. I have this fitted to my side gate and wooden shed all keyed alike with the house key.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

you could also do it by bolting an extra piece of timber to the locking stile so it is thick enough to fit a mortice lock.

thanks for the replies, its only an outhouse door, so I went with a surface mounted lock on the inside and rebated the strike plate into the frame. the door is about half inch thick apart from where the ledges/braces are where it's about inch and a half thick. The lock is fine but it strikes me that someone could unscrew the T- hinges from the outside and get the door off, so if anyones got any suggestion of how to stop that happening maybe hinge bolts like I've used before on outward-opening patio doors, any advice much appreciated
cheers
Sam

Coach bolts.
Average security screws can be bypassed with a cheap kit online or some clever use of another screw onto another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back