How Can I Fix a Broken Door Frame from door being kicked in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How Can I Fix a Broken Door Frame from door being kicked in?

The door itself and the hinges are fine

but the door frame has split where the hinges were pushed out

How can I fix the frame?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about making the frame temporarily secure, or a more permanent measure?
If its the former, close the door and fix timber battens across the frame from the inside. If its the latter then the split can be glued and cramped and any holes filled with dowel - and then its probably best to shift the hinge position a little. It really depends on how bad the damage is!
John :)

Are you talking about making the frame temporarily secure, or a more permanent measure?
If its the former, close the door and fix timber battens across the frame from the inside. If its the latter then the split can be glued and cramped and any holes filled with dowel - and then its probably best to shift the hinge position a little. It really depends on how bad the damage is!

Top piece is better than the bottom

on the bottom a piece has come off...

I want something quick and cheap really!

Post us a picture of the damage....most burst frames can be repaired if the joiner knows what he's doing - it depends on whats left of the frame.

Sponsored Links
So if I move the position of the hinges...

Bring the top one down a bit and raise the bottom one up a bit...

And then with a combination of wood glue and wood filler, patch the frame back together

then sand and gloss the whole frame so it blends in?

Would that work?

This is the bottom, and the piece that came off

And this is the top, the hinge is still attached here but loose

You'll probably get away with what you propose, but that split piece has to go back into place.
Wood glue only really sets perfectly when its cramped up, or otherwise squeezed (with the addition of screws, maybe.) The adhesive must be allowed to thoroughly set, too. Don't rely on filler for strength, only aesthetics.
A skilled joiner could splice new timber in there, but there's a couple of hours work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back