Framing Nail Gun? or alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I an going to be building a workshop shed in my garden (as soon as I move into my new house). My question is, is it worth renting (or buying) a framing nail gun to build the frame?
I have looked at the cost of both renting and buying nail guns, I will probably be buying a low powered one for general use and for doing the sidings of the shed, its just the framing guns are soo expensive. Is it worth renting or is there an alternative. I'm happy to spend a bit on a good drill/driver as I will use that a lot. Are screws as good or better?
It's a lot to think about as the only power tools I tend to use in my shop are drills and sanders.

Hope you can help
Peter

Sponsored Links
Not worth buying it for a one off job IMO, hitting things with a hammer is fun! Buy a nice Estwing and do it 'old school' :cool:

If you're getting a drill/driver, and already have 'big' drills, get a brand name 10.8v twinpack with an impact driver.

Thank you for the reply, I think I will get my self a nice new hammer to replace my 'value' B&Q one. Any recommendations on the best drill set, I have heard good things about the Bosch 10.8v range, are there any better/similar ones

Is there a best recommended screw or nail to use when framing framing by hand? I really have no idea about construction fixing, all my research so far has shown people using nail guns with no alternative recommendations lol.

(As you can see I quite like recommendations)

Peter

I've just recently built a 3.6*2.6M storage shed. I did all the framing with (exterior) screws. It's a bit slower than nailing but not enough to matter and in many ways, easier. Tha cladding was nailed though!

I use a Makita 10.8V twin pack and the impact driver from that is up to the job. It's a bit slow on 6*100mm screws but it will get them in (but not many per charge). That said, I have an 18V Makita impact driver too and use that for PZ3 stuff.

You'll be fine with Makita, DeWalt or (Blue) Bosch, they are all good - with the odd exception where they have built down to hit a price level.

Sponsored Links
Can I add Metabo to the list, I have their twinpack and it it's serious stuff. Although a little bulkier than the Makita and the Bosch.

these, and also the 75mm will be fine for your framing.

Any excuse for buying new tools is ok with me, even you needing one might be enough for me to go out and buy one :LOL:

I think all, I will probably start off the base with nails and see how I get on and maybe change over to screws if I get fed up.

I was having a look around last night and found Axminster have an offer on the Bosch 18v kit for £299 http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gsb18v-li-combi-gdr-impact-kit-li-ion-18v-4-0ah. For all the price difference between the 10.8v and 18v is it worth the extra money or are the brush less 10.8v ones by far superior?

I'll have a look at the Metabo, never heard of them as a brand until now though.

Peter

That's a pretty good deal. The 18V kit is far more capable, powerful and will do vastly more work on a charge. The 10.8V stuff can't compete in terms of performance but the reason they have many fans is that they are small, light and surprisingly capable. This makes them great for use in the workshop for extended periods doing light work and for lugging to small jobs.

TwoTrowels I've heard good things about the Hitachi, comparable to the Bosch but cheaper (I'm not sure on the model I'll have to look into it). Plus the spare batteries are a lot cheaper it seems. Although, as ntp said, I do like the idea of the size of the 10.8v kits. Just need to do a bit more reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back