France: Do electric radiators imply certifiable wiring?

PBM

Reaction score
Country
France
I'm a first-time buyer browsing cheap houses in France. I know that when you buy a house, the electricity has been disconnected, and to reconnect it there needs to be an inspection and certification by CONSUEL.

I notice that some houses have electric radiators in every room. Generally, would this be an indication that the wiring is likely to be sufficient for that higher level of power consumption, and therefore more likely to pass certification than a house with only electrical sockets, the condition of which may not be evident?

Sponsored Links
In simple terms - sort of yes - but your understanding of Consuel and connection to the grid is wrong to begin with.

Any house that has previously had an electrical supply does not require a new consuel inspection - doesn't matter if it was wired in 1920 or yesterday - doesn't matter if its currently a death trap - if there's a meter etc you don't need inspections by Consuel. So most houses with pre existing wiring can be reconnected - doesn't mean it worn't burn down or kill you - but it doesn't need Consuel.

Any house that has previously had an electrical supply does not require a new consuel inspection

Thank you for replying. I see, you're right, I'm confusing Consuel certification with a regular inspection:
"From 1 April 2009, it is a legal requirement to have an electrical inspection when selling a property which is more than 15 years old. This can only be done by a qualified, registered electrical contractor."
Source: https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in-france/utilities/french-electrical-systems/

I assumed that if it failed this electrician's inspection, then it would require rectification before reconnecting. But are you saying that the report would simply enable me to buy at my own risk, aware of possible dangers that may require work, and EDF would happily reactivate the existing supply without looking at the inspection report?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

When buying/selling there are various "inspections/surveys" required before contract - electrical - asbestos- lead etc. Seller pays for them - they are information only - so the electrical inspection is never seen by EDF/Energis. There's no "survey" as you'd understand it in France - the emphasis is on the seller to provide the mandatory inspections - buyer see's them before the exchange of contract and they also in effect form part of the contract.

• Thanks
Reactions: PBM
Back