Franke Ancona tap still dripping after changing cartridge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Franke Ascona tap 7 years old and have had to replace both the hot and cold tap cartridges due to a leaky spout twice the last time just recently. I would have thought the cartridges should have lasted longer than about 3.5 years!
Also I do notice that when he tap isn’t leaky and has been in use when I turn either the cold or hot tap off a drop of water appears under the spout end as if it’s going to drip but doesn’t and soon disperses down the spout.
Also I’ve noticed when not leaky and I’ve finished using the taps and turn them off if I unscrew the aerator from the spout a bit of water comes out for a few seconds as if there’s some water trapped after turning the tap off. Is this normal. Or is there some fault or plumbing problem maybe. I feel like this tap has been troublesome, leaky after only a few years and stubborn to remove tap cartridges. Can anybody advise if you think there is an issue with the tap?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Removing the aerator and causing a water spout is quite normal! :)
I have a Grohe tap, similar to yours with a large swivel spout.
I suspect the aerator can create a large amount of surface tension when the tap is off. Removing the aerator, removes the tension; then a siphon can form, drawing the rest of the water in the tap, out.

As for the cartridges, do you live in a hard water area?
There are many posts on here suggesting that cartridges don't always need to be replaced.
Taking them out and leaving them to soak in some descaler, can clean them up enough to be reused.

I hope that helps :)

Are they separate 1/4 turn valves? Cartridges are used in monobloc taps with a single lever.

If they're 1/4 turn then they only guarantee them for 2 years now. When they originally came out they had a lifetime guarantee but they soon found out that they don't last that long. Did you get Franke replacements?

Just changed the Franke Ascona hot tap cartridge and tap still leaks from spout a bit. Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Ask the Mods to report this in the "Plumbing" section? You stand a better chance over there

There is a word "Report" in blue just below the text of your post. Click through this to the report to mods page

Any tap with a curved head and a filter will hold small amount of water and drip out as the air is able to get in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back