Franke Olympus Mono Mixer Kitchen Tap

Job done. Although it’s kind of in my nature to repair rather than replace things (hate our throw-away society), sometimes I doubt the wisdom. The tap handles were quite corroded where they join the tap body – that’s mostly hidden when they’re in place, thankfully – and the internal splines which slide onto the tap spindle, so they just turn round and round…

Fortunately, the grub screws seems to hold the handles pretty firmly in place. New handles cost more than it would be worth, and the leak has completely stopped now (though I note the earlier comment that it may only have been the rubber seals in the first place :mad:)… anyway, it cost me less than £20 to do the job, so it’s worth a punt. If it starts leaking again, I’ll chuck the whole unit.

Thanks as always for your kind help and advice :D

Roger

Sounds about right for that tap (and lots of other brands) - the chromed heads are made of some sort of alloy and corrode onto the brass spines of the tap works.
It would probably cost you I guess £100 to buy 2 new handles together with hot and cold cartridges.
You can buy new similar taps from SF stores for around £40 and they seem very decent for the money. Chinese made, but what isn’t? :(

Sponsored Links
OK… everything OK since then, till a so-called professional kitchen fitter left me with leaking joints in the under sink plumbing after fitting a new worktop. Having spent an evening fixing them (the practice is good for me, and I don’t want him anywhere near my plumbing again), I now find a slight leak coming from up underneath the mixer tap itself, ie running down the hot tail.

I don’t know how these taps are put together – is there something I can fix inside the unit (ie does the copper tail screw in to the mixer unit, or is there a seal or something), or is it likely to be cracked?

I’ll probably have a shot at it tomorrow, but it’d be useful to know what I’m looking for… if it's really bust, obviously time to throw the towel in and get a different mixer.

Thanks

Well, end of a saga.. after all that, it wasn’t even possible to remove the tap for inspection, due to the tails being a bit crushed and bent etc, but the water was definitely coming down from somewhere inside the mixer body. I had to hacksaw through the tails in the end to remove it.

If anybody wants a set of valves which will apparently fit several Franke taps, let me know. They were only in use for about a month.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back