Free Electricity for Energy firms - they don't have to pay you for your excess Solar Power

Sponsored Links
On the other hand, we are all paying for the generous feed in tariffs to people that bought PV solar panels.

Or an example of the poor subsidising the rich in terms of electricity.

And we are all paying for smart meters -who is making a mint out of them? somebody

Its pretty easy to fit a device to your emersion heater that takes the excess off. I wonder how they will find out, if people refuse smart meters.

On the other hand, we are all paying for the generous feed in tariffs to people that bought PV solar panels.
Care to tell us what the guaranteed 'feed in tariffs' for 'our' Chinese/French nuclear power plants will be?

Not withstanding the open ended decommissioning costs!

Sponsored Links
I'm confused ,who pays the energy tariff for feeding energy back into the grid, is it the government or the energy company ? I thought it was the energy company?? So absolishing the future feed in tariff will mean the energy company is not legally obliged to pay for the energy given to it ?

What is to stop someone from inventing or fitting a device or battery that allows for the storage of energy? Like Tesla who is working on a household battery which stores energy eliminating the need to sell energy back to the energy company, the product is called a PowerWall and was in its second generation last I checked.

I'm confused ,who pays the energy tariff for feeding energy back into the grid, is it the government or the energy company ?
The consumer/taxpayer
What is to stop someone from inventing or fitting a device or battery that allows for the storage of energy?
Nothing. Except of course no doubt you will be required to get a licence and be given a dozen expensive regulatory hoops to jump through should it ever take off!

I'm confused ,who pays the energy tariff for feeding energy back into the grid, is it the government or the energy company ?

No.

The money comes from a levy on the cost of electricity sold to customers.

Your bill is inflated by about 12% to pay the cost of schemes which the government forces the large energy companies to operate.

It's like a tax, except that the government can deny that it is taxing you.

And instead of being taxed in proportion to your income, you are taxed according to the amount you pay for energy.

So the person earning a million pounds a week does not pay ten thousand times as much as the person earning a hundred pounds a week.

The plumber's pensioner mum in her badly-insulated flat with no gas supply, has to pay more than her prosperous son in his well-insulated, draught-free home with gas UFH.

Care to tell us what the guaranteed 'feed in tariffs' for 'our' Chinese/French nuclear power plants will be?

The government has promised to pay more than the market price. About double.

"Given its commitment to building Hinkley Point C, the government had no choice but to make EDF an offer that was too good to resist. It offered to guarantee EDF a fixed price for each unit of energy produced at Hinkley for its first 35 years of operation. In 2012, the guaranteed price – known as the “strike price” – was set at £92.50 per megawatt hour (MWh), which would then rise with inflation. (One MWh is roughly equivalent to the electricity used by around 330 homes in one hour.)

This means that if the wholesale price of electricity across the country falls below £92.50, EDF will receive an extra payment from the consumer as a “top-up” to fill the gap. This will be added to electricity bills around the country – even if you aren’t receiving electricity from Hinkley Point C, you will still be making a payment to EDF. The current wholesale price is around £40 per MWh. If there had been no inflation since 2012, the consumer would be paying an EDF tax of around £52.50 per MWh produced at Hinkley. However, because it is linked to inflation, the strike price has already risen since 2012. (The price will be reduced by £3 if EDF develops another new reactor in Sizewell in Suffolk, as it is
planning to do.)"

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...deal-behind-worlds-most-expensive-power-plant

it is our government's policy to shovel money into the pockets of nationalised industries.

Provided, that is, they are owned by the governments of foreign countries.

Tory mania for privatisation leads to strange results.

As usual, notch is talking nonsense.
Cheap as chips (y)

No.

The money comes from a levy on the cost of electricity sold to customers.

Your bill is inflated by about 12% to pay the cost of schemes which the government forces the large energy companies to operate.

It's like a tax, except that the government can deny that it is taxing you.

And instead of being taxed in proportion to your income, you are taxed according to the amount you pay for energy.

So the person earning a million pounds a week does not pay ten thousand times as much as the person earning a hundred pounds a week.

The plumber's pensioner mum in her badly-insulated flat with no gas supply, has to pay more than her prosperous son in his well-insulated, draught-free home with gas UFH.

Hold on, so the government is forcing energy companies to pay for energy from consumers, and the energy company is then passing that cost onto all energy consumers through its prices ?

So to be clear your saying that someone living in a house with solar panels who receives a cheque each money for energy they sell to the energy company is actually being subsidised by people that does not have solar panels, i.e. everyone else ?

If this is correct this is an absolute disgrace and I'd be in favour of scraping the feed in tarrifs completely, especially as if you are fortunate enough to afford a solar panel array you're unlikely to need the money anyway !

So to be clear your saying that someone living in a house with solar panels who receives a cheque each money for energy they sell to the energy company is actually being subsidised by people that does not have solar panels, i.e. everyone else ?

yes

write to your MP

We're all in this together.

Have a look at your bill. It will probably say on the last page something like this:

The costs that make up energy bills

Buying the energy our customers use 41%
Delivering the energy to your home 28%
Government environmental and social schemes 12%
Looking after you which includes billing, customer
service and IT systems 8%
VAT 5%
Our supply business profit 6%

Illustration based on information from xxxx's
Consolidated Segmental Statements published from
2015 - 2017 which are available on our website.
Average costs per energy bill weighted to reflect our
customer base (60% electricity, 40% gas). Costs will
vary depending on fuel(s), region and tariff.

am i misunderstanding this ??
if you feed in you get credited with those units as your meter goes negative
in the past it was something like 36per unit
it then halved to around 18p a unit
but even now they will still cost them whatever the standard unit is unless on average you generate less than you use
and we all pay for the extras on feed in tariffs by the a levy on our energy costs

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back