Free High Jump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched an incredible video clip of a gymnast doing back summersaults, back flip which ended with a triple back tucked summersault which took him to a height of at least 12 feet from the ground.

The present World High Jump record is a little over 8ft achieved in 1993 according to Wikipedia.

This made me wonder what the world record would be for a free high jump. I of course appreciate that the track and field version of the High Jump is loaded with rules such as taking off on one foot , but would it not be reasonable to have an olympic track and field event of Free High Jump where the object of the athlete is to just get over the highest bar possible without any aids and with out the restrictions presently applied to the present High Jump .
Has anyone any idea of what the highest fee High jump record is because gymnasts achieve incredible heights in there performances.

Sponsored Links
the 12ft is head height or highest body part
the lowest body part would be perhaps 5 ft lower so not clear the bar off the height jump set at 7ft+

the lowest body part would be perhaps 5 ft lower so not clear the bar off the height jump set at 7ft+

Not if they tucked themselves into a ball with the landing not being an issue because of a massive crash-mat.??

Not if they tucked themselves into a ball with the landing not being an issue because of a massive crash-mat.??

in general if you are quoting a height you are trying to maximize so may indeed roll into a ball for minimum resistance
with an arm extended for one part off one a loop to give a further 2ft on height
all depends on what they are trying to achieve

Sponsored Links
I received an e-mail from Google -Top Posts theis Week on Google+, and this is the link to this incredible gymnastic routine . See what you think, the guy looks to get at least 12 fit in the air maybe even more and then what a landing - unbelievable.
https://plus.google.com/+CraigChamberlin/posts/KHkVRgQeZ5Q?cfem=1

But I can't find it on Youtube, anyone know the source of the clip?

But he is running on a spring track, as for a free high jump, the technique they use now is the best one. I think you can jump the high jump anyway you like as long as you get over

Sorry Snico, you are mistaken. Have a look at Wikipedia at the High Jump and it will show you the rules of the high jump,. There are rules to which you must comply, one of which is taking off on ONE foot. That very rule disqualifies the use of gymnastic techniques for getting over the bar.
I take your point of a cushioned floor, but even considering that, the height attained by this guy is quite unbelievable. Hence my question as to what is the highest 'Free' high jump. It would be interesting to have a competition in such an event.

While I agree that the height of the final flip is amazing, he certainly doesn't get anywhere near 12' high. With a standard door being 6' 6", the track must be around 2' 6" above ground level, so, as he clears the door height by around 3' or maybe 4', then he can't be much more than 8' clear from the track he is bouncing off.

You may be right misterhelpful, my estimation is based on the height of the guy say average 5'9", he appears to be over double his own height . Maybe some camera angles involved but My estimated is 12 ft.

It does not address the original question though, if a Free High Jump was a sporting event - What height would these guys achieve?.

I am not asking for any confirmation of my estimate, just the original question and why is it not a recognised sporting discipline?.

Sponsored Links
Back