Free new boiler or stick with reliable 1980's one?

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO most guys in the trade never service their own boilers as is so often said in the CC

To be fair most guys not in the trade cannot nip out and fix the boiler when it stops, glance at the thing for known issues to see if they're a problem or replace a finished boiler with a reclaimed model won from a job with an unnecessary replacement or an upgrade.

Also if they put it in themselves many of the issues that stop a boiler prematurely will have been dealt with as it was installed correctly and not to satisfy a customers desire for the cheapest quote.

Customers know the cost of everything but not the value.

Sponsored Links
Hi,it seems that everyone wants to give me a free boiler which seems great,but I'm concerned about whether it would be a wise decision.

My old conventional boiler (vented system,hot water tank,cold water tank,header tank in loft) was installed in the 1980's,it's not been serviced since I bought the house about 20 years ago,it's never broken down or needed any expert attention.

If I had a 'free' (conventional) boiler installed would it be of decent quality,or would it just become a hunk of useless scrap metal as soon as the warranty's expired?

I shouldn't need to ask really,but it's likely that if the new boiler were to be unreliable I'd not be able to afford to repair or replace it.

But then I've no idea how much life is left in my old boiler...

Would they let me keep my trusty old boiler as a spare or must it be taken away?

So should I get a new free boiler or not?
@Landycat so what did you do in the end?

I believe the reason why they offer free boilers to those that qualify is because the old ones are inefficient. They don't just get a free boiler if they already have an efficient boiler.

And, hands up all those who would refuse a free-one (whatever thing or service that may be).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back