Free standing garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondering if someone could offer up some advice.

I am planning on building two free standing 6ft walls 3 metres long at the back of my garden with a gate in the middle . I have discussed this with building control and they have a advised digging 600-900mm deep footings around 450mm wide. I plan to use dense concrete blocks 7n which are 110mm thick, when I told him I was going to build it one block thick with 3 piers per wall he said that it might not be thick enough.

My question is do you think with the piers the wall will be thick/strong enough?

Sponsored Links
A free-standing wall that high should be a minimum of 200 thick, regardless of piers. If you are building it 110 thick, the piers will be assumed to take most of the wind load, and should really be designed and sized accordingly.

Don't put a dpc near the bottom as that will only make it more unstable.

Are you sure the blocks are 110 thick?; most are 100 thick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony. Correct they are 100mm. When it's doubled up do the brick staggers run parrarel to each other and butted up to each other with mortar?. Thanks for help with this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back