Freeman wins again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/10327666.stm]BBC[/url] said:
...Colin Montgomerie has won his driving licence back after a judge ruled that a laser gun reading was invalid.

A court heard Cumbria Police had instructed a civilian worker to target all motorists regardless of whether they were breaking the speed limit Mr Montgomerie was clocked driving his BMW at 37mph in a 30mph zone on the A69, near Carlisle, in November 2008.

The Scot was given three penalty points and banned from driving for six months.

Mr Montgomerie was banned because his licence already had nine points. He was also fined £850, with prosecution costs of £4,000...

Is there a 'funny handshake' job involved here? Did the authorities not know about the invalid instruction? If they did know, then why not cover it up?
Or was the door left open, to get Monty off the hook and allow legals to earn more dosh in the process? Or something completely different like incompetance?

-0-

Sponsored Links
I think speed gun prosecutions can only be carried out by Police officers, not civies in a high viz jacket.
There are several villages around us that have been given a speed gun to be
operated by trained volunteers, they cannot prosecute but hand the data to the police who write a letter to the offender after 2 violations. If caught again by the volunteers the police set up a trap with officers who then prosecute.

How do you know if a car is breaking the speed limit unless you use the radar gun? Can you guess which car is doing 34 and which 37?

Sponsored Links
aww.. here's me thinking that this was a thread saying that HalfLife 2: Episode 3 was out now.. :(

I'm one of the 99% :oops:

Haven't a clue what you are on about.

I think speed gun prosecutions can only be carried out by Police officers, not civies in a high viz jacket.
There are several villages around us that have been given a speed gun to be
operated by trained volunteers, they cannot prosecute but hand the data to the police who write a letter to the offender after 2 violations. If caught again by the volunteers the police set up a trap with officers who then prosecute.

AFAIK prosecutions can not be carried out by civvies; they can report the vehicle to the local police, that will then be sent a warning, as legally they don't have a standing. But in this case it seems that the calibration of the gun was called into question. But all mobile speed cameras are totally inaccurate, because if you don't have a flat fronted vehicle (like a lorry), then the signal bounces off the aerodynamic bonnet, and gives a false reading, in every case.

It's been proven that a correctly calibrated speed gun aimed at a wall has produced a speed reading, due to involuntary movements of the arm of the aimer, which even your best sniper couldn't alleviate.

But all that said, money talks, and people with good lawyers, walk. So many unanswered questions on this one. How has a civvie brought a conviction?

Sponsored Links
Back